[L7] After you've "made it"

exixx

Apr 12, 2015, 9:48:41 AM4/12/15
to python-c...@googlegroups.com
I can't figure out what to do with the 9 numbers. Hopefully that's not spoiling anything, but I get to this point and I'm completely stumped. I've had a number of ideas, but none of them work. Is there a hint that wouldn't give it away?

Zach Poirier

Apr 15, 2015, 6:36:28 PM4/15/15
to python-c...@googlegroups.com
Numbers can take on meanings separate from their arithmetic function. Think about ASCII.

exixx

Apr 15, 2015, 11:29:22 PM4/15/15
to python-c...@googlegroups.com

     That's kind of the key to getting the second set of numbers. Those are the ones that have defied any other sort of decoding. I've tried every possible way I could decode them from the somewhat obvious to the shearly ridiculous, and still am stumped.

braini...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 4:51:46 AM4/16/15
to python-c...@googlegroups.com
If you've got that list of numbers now, just cast the values to characters by the ASCII mapping (e.g. via the chr/ord inverse functions), which you must have already done a few times to get to this point, and see what you get.

exixx

Apr 17, 2015, 10:43:04 AM4/17/15
to python-c...@googlegroups.com
That's why I'm stumped. Some of the numbers yield unprintable or control characters, regardless of assumed base or any other slick ideas I've come up with.

braini...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2015, 12:35:20 PM4/20/15
to python-c...@googlegroups.com
I was stumped as well, until I remembered having almost the same problem once.  If you use groupby or some similar method to filter repeated characters, you will end up with some missing digits on those numbers, which would probably give non-alpha characters.  Use slices instead, as the relevant portion repeats every n bytes.  You can even get your script to decipher that period.

exixx

Apr 21, 2015, 9:39:34 PM4/21/15
to python-c...@googlegroups.com
aha! no, my problem was an elementary error. I went back and looked at my code, and if you decode upon changes, you miss some characters. Bad move on my part. Thanks for your help, now I feel pretty dumb. #6 was a hard one, I guess I was expecting this one to be more difficult. Man, do I feel dumb. On to 8!

David Ohlemacher

Nov 11, 2015, 12:25:42 AM11/11/15
to Python Challenge
I made the same mistake; don't feel too bad.   Yes, on to 8.