Summer - meet-up

Jonas Geiregat

May 23, 2013, 4:32:44 AM5/23/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow Pythonistas,

Summer is insight and maybe it's time throw something on the Barbecue ?
Anyway I feel and think it's time for our 3th meet-up.

I would encourage everyone to give at least a lighting talk as we discussed before.
If you have a subject you would like to talk about, post it on the list so we can start putting an agenda together.

If you would like to add something else to the agenda, let me know!

Date, to be determined by the doodle: http://www.doodle.com/c9gkre6te9gh6rmf

Location, also to be determined but it will not be Brussels or Antwerp since those where to places where we previously had our meetings.

Regards,

Jonas Geiregat.

Steven Reekmans

May 23, 2013, 5:19:07 AM5/23/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Sounds very nice, I'm in :)

Maarten Huijsmans

May 23, 2013, 5:27:28 AM5/23/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
We (Steven and I) work at Mobile Vikings in Hasselt (its not in the center of Belgium), but we can the space and offices the host a Meetup ...

Maarten Huijsmans

May 23, 2013, 5:29:22 AM5/23/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for my broken English. We have the space and we can host a Meetup.

Jonas Geiregat

May 24, 2013, 3:17:42 AM5/24/13

On 23 May 2013, at 10:32, Jonas Geiregat wrote:

Location, also to be determined but it will not be Brussels or Antwerp since those where to places where we previously had our meetings.

We have found location to host our next PyBug meet-up, thanks to Maarten Huijsmans wonderful work!

The meet-up will be hosted by Mobile Vikings at their building in Hasselt

Kempische Steenweg 293/16
B-3500 Hasselt

I'm aware that for some people it won't be easy to come to Hasselt.
That's why I would encourage car pooling as much as possible!

I'm coming from Kortrijk, so I'll need to pass through Ghent, Antwerp or Brussels to get to Hasselt on the big day :-)

So start preparing those lighting talks!

Hope to see you soon!

And many thanks for the Mobile Vikings support!

Regards,

Jonas.

Bram Marien

May 30, 2013, 4:49:00 AM5/30/13

On Friday, May 24, 2013 9:17:42 AM UTC+2, Jonas Geiregat wrote:

So start preparing those lighting talks!

Hope to see you soon!

Hi,

are these meetings open to everybody?
I just discovered this group and as I am a Belgian (flemish) python developer this seems quite interesting...
I'm not too keen on giving a lightning talk myself (lack of topic, experience and most and for all : guts :)), and there's a reasonable chance that I'll be on a holiday for the upcoming event, but I'd like to connect with fellow members and learn from their talks.

Kindest regards,

Bram

Jonas Geiregat

May 30, 2013, 4:53:59 AM5/30/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bram,

Lovely to see another Python developer rise up!

You are not forced at all to give a lightning talk but you are obligated to join us if you like developing in Python and are originated from Belgium ;-)

Just saying you are more then welcome! Just subscribe to the doodle and hope to see you soon!

Regards,

Jonas.

Maarten Huijsmans

May 31, 2013, 4:59:28 AM5/31/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bram,

Don't worry, you're not obligated to give a lighting talk.  We're also having a bbq, so lots of opportunities to talk about python stuff.

Grtz

Franco Minucci

Jun 4, 2013, 6:26:37 AM6/4/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
I see that the poll is closed but I would like to join the meeting.
My only problem can be to come back to Leuven in the evening.
Is there someone coming back that can drop me here?
In the mean time i look for a train.
Hope I can join you! :D

Jonas Geiregat

Jun 4, 2013, 6:56:11 AM6/4/13

On 04 Jun 2013, at 12:26, Franco Minucci wrote:

> I see that the poll is closed but I would like to join the meeting.
> My only problem can be to come back to Leuven in the evening.
> Is there someone coming back that can drop me here?
> In the mean time i look for a train.
> Hope I can join you! :D

Of course you can join us.
The doodle was there only to decide on a date.

Keep on eye on http://www.pybug.be for more information.

Luc Kesters

Jun 4, 2013, 8:56:06 AM6/4/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
The same goes for me except that I'm a "regional de l'étape"
I suppose that this post is enough to join the meet-up.

Daniel Rus Morales

Jun 4, 2013, 9:10:30 AM6/4/13

On Tuesday 04 June 2013 05:56:06 Luc Kesters wrote:

The same goes for me except that I'm a "regional de l'étape"

I suppose that this post is enough to join the meet-up.

We could registed the event at Lanyrd.com so that we can join either as attendes or speakers. It will also help the organizers (Mobile Vikings, right Maarten/Steven?) to figure out how many we are and arrange enough space.

-Daniel

Jonas Geiregat

Jun 4, 2013, 9:19:27 AM6/4/13

On 04 Jun 2013, at 15:10, Daniel Rus Morales wrote:

We could registed the event at Lanyrd.com so that we can join either as attendes or speakers. It will also help the organizers (Mobile Vikings, right Maarten/Steven?) to figure out how many we are and arrange enough space.

Great idea, I did not know of the existence of lanyrd.com !

There's definitely help us get more organized.

Jan Fabry

Jun 5, 2013, 9:05:53 AM6/5/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Silly little question: why do we start the meet-up so late? I know we do it because we want to get there after our working hours, but why do we do that?

We all know this is not just a social gathering, but a way to expand our professional knowledge about Python. The social part is a by-product, but also has a professional component: knowing other Python developers in the area can be useful when your company wants to hire someone extra. So why don't we act like we mean it and start the meet-up during the working hours?

Compare it to our marketing colleagues: they have no problem going to congresses during the day! They even get the company to pay high entrance fees, to listen to lame speakers and eat expensive food from tiny scales while talking to each other. Remove the high entrance fee, replace the lame speakers with interesting discussions and the tiny scales with huge plates of roasted dead animals, and you have a PyBUG meet-up!

So, allow me to suggest the following timeframe:

 - Welcome at 14h00
 - Regular lectures between 14h00 and 17h00
 - Lightning talks between 17h00 and 18h00, while we fire up the barbecue
 - End of the formal part at 18h00
 - BBQ and socializing from 18h00 onwards

How many of you think it's possible to convince their company to allow them to go there? If we can't agree on this for the next meet-up, no problem, we stick to the existing schedule, but maybe the one after that?

Thanks,

Jan Fabry

Jeroen Dierckx

Jun 5, 2013, 9:34:18 AM6/5/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jan et al,

Thanks for your input. Here's my two cents.

It's too soon to be sure, but i don't think i would attend that early;
i am independent, i do not work for a boss, and i aim to bill a full
day.
Others who are employed might not be so lucky with their boss and
won't want to spend their days off on this, rather than family, house,
hobbies and such.

Comparing the Python community to the marketing community is a bit
rich imo :p. I would certainly not want to see Python meetups and
conferences go in that direction ;)
Calling the social part a by-product is a stretch too i think; that
might be more accurate if we were talking about a full-fledged
conference, but this is about a barbecue with some lightning talks,
right?

Don't forget that organising even a small meetup is not a walk in the
park; someone needs to pull it and (s)he will need the help of others
for sure. The bigger the event, the more work obviously. I know i
can't do that right now with my workload.
I think we all appreciate Jonas's work and drive in bringing Python
peeps together, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and give this a
chance to grow.

I'm interested to hear the opinion of others on this matter of course.

Best regards,
Jeroen
> --
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/python-belgian-user-group?hl=en.

Dries Desmet

Jun 5, 2013, 10:38:24 AM6/5/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Even though I can't attend the next pybug meetup (I'm on a holiday trip) I actually am on the same line as Jan Fabry. I think the pybug meetings should be something that we attend for professional purposes. Not solely that, but definitely not hobby-like. I have attended these Linux User Groups before and even though the people are nice, I didn't get much out of it 'for real'. Of course, pybug is very new and this is a typical case of 'we'll see what works'. It all depends on the number of people that can/want to attend.

my 2 cents.

D.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Dries Desmet

URGA // GRAPHIC DESIGN STUDIO

Wollestraat 5
8790 Waregem
t 056 61 41 94
m 0477 68 68 34
in...@urga.be
www.urga.be

Jonas Geiregat

Jun 6, 2013, 11:44:20 AM6/6/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the input.

I must agree with Jeroen, organizing even the smallest event takes a lot of effort.
The previous meet-up started around the same time, 19 o'clock, and it lasted until midnight.
Thereby, I haven't seen any proposals for any kind of talk so far, so I think it would be hard to fill all the time slots.

I'm going to give a lighting talk about using django in combination with backbone.js.

So please, if you want to share anything, do it! Even if it's a plugin for your favorite python editor or a simple python library you just found out about, share it with the group! We might not know about it and might find it a great tool.
And don't hide yourself because you might be scared of your technical level!

For example, Hugo shared bpython with us the last time, which is a great tool and alternative for ipython.

And now for something completely different:

I've been thinking, and looking at other groups, to plan a whole year in advanced. Now we just plan from meet-up till meet-up, which, I think, makes
it harder for everyone, not ?

Jeroen Dierckx

Jun 6, 2013, 11:59:56 AM6/6/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

- I intend to submit a (lightning) talk, but for now I am
concentrating on EuroPython, after that i'll start thinking about
PyBUG@MobileVikings.
- I'm all for long term planning of the meetups, should void the need
of doodle all the time. It seems like there is enough interest now to
have enough people at the meetups, right? So why not.

Best regards to all,
Jeroen

Steven Reekmans

Jun 6, 2013, 12:13:07 PM6/6/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
@Jan
I don't think we are at that level yet. If we have more concrete and solid talks, we can begin to go towards a little conference.
For now I think the current meetup structure is good and chill.

But let's be clear, coming back from DjangoCon Circus, we really want to have such a big and awesome event in our country, in a few years.
We at MobileVikings ( and may I speak for Inuits? ) are motivated to boost the Python (and also Django) community in Belgium.

@Jonas
I think it is a very good idea to think more clearly about next events.
So we can more easily schedule them, and form them.

We could also think outside of only evenings with lightning talks:, sprints, hackathons, ...

Steven Reekmans
Software Engineer
Mobile Vikings
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
--  Emmett Brown, Ph. D, student of all sciences

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Python Belgian User Group - pyBug" group.

Hugo H

Jun 6, 2013, 2:03:45 PM6/6/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be great to plan parts of the events, such as an Talks & Dinner evening a month and a few hackathons.
And we should avoid the middle of weekdays because it never works for everyone. But doing a few one-day events
during weekends would be great, especially hackathons.

In addition to talks and kind-a-formal events, I really liked the concept of AFPyro, having drinks and dinner between
pythonistas, in a different city each time and with no computer. It could be nice to switch between talk events and chat events.

@Jonas: hope you like BPython ! Sometimes sharing one tool changes everything.

Hugo Herter

Wietse Jacobs

Jun 10, 2013, 9:32:24 AM6/10/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, May 24, 2013 9:17:42 AM UTC+2, Jonas Geiregat wrote:

The meet-up will be hosted by Mobile Vikings at their building in Hasselt

Kempische Steenweg 293/16
B-3500 Hasselt

Hello,

I'm new to this group, and glad to have found it! I'd like to join the meetup in Hasselt.

Regards,
Wietse

Jonas Geiregat

Jun 11, 2013, 2:52:31 AM6/11/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
On 04 Jun 2013, at 15:10, Daniel Rus Morales wrote:

Because some people joined this list after the initial summer meet-up post and are wondering, if they are welcome I created, thanks to Daniel a Lanyrd.com account.

I've created the Hasselt Event 2nd of August.

So everyone who will be joining us can mark themselves as attendees or speakers (and yes we still need some!)

And again, everyone literally everyone is welcome!

Best Regards,

Jonas.

Jonas Geiregat

Jun 11, 2013, 2:53:59 AM6/11/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to post the link, http://lanyrd.com/2013/pybug/

Steven Reekmans

Jun 11, 2013, 4:58:52 AM6/11/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
@Jonas
Can you join the event with your personal account instead of the PyBug account?
This way people can see that you are speaking, and not the community :)

Michael Devenijn

Jun 14, 2013, 12:09:01 PM6/14/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
I would like to participate and give a talk (If anybody interested in the subject of course ...)

DDD with Django

How can I register, apply ?

Jonas Geiregat

Jun 14, 2013, 3:21:46 PM6/14/13

On 14 Jun 2013, at 18:09, Michael Devenijn wrote:

> I would like to participate and give a talk (If anybody interested in the subject of course ...)
>
> DDD with Django
>
> How can I register, apply ?

We have an account at http://lanyrd.com/2013/pybug/

If you wish you can set yourself as speaker!

Thanks!

Franco Minucci

Jul 4, 2013, 6:05:40 PM7/4/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
if anyone find it interesting I can prepare a small talk about using python in the measurement lab.
It's nothing special but I worked quite a lot with python in different companys in the measurement lab.
I don't have much code to show but I can bring some example.
Let me know if you like the ideas and I will prepare some slides.
In any case, see you the 2nd of August! :-D

Jeroen Dierckx

Jul 8, 2013, 5:46:17 AM7/8/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
I for one would like to see that, for sure.
This is something i am unfamiliar with and that's always interesting!

See you!

Best regards,
Jeroen Dierckx
shore.be
> --
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/python-belgian-user-group.

Steven Reekmans

Brecht Machiels

Jul 9, 2013, 4:42:52 PM7/9/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been lurking in the dark for a while. It's nice to see initiatives like these!
I could give a talk about a document preparation system I've been working on for the past few years (I call it a modern LaTeX).
What's the suggested format of the lightning talks? Couple of slides, 10 minutes or so?

Cheers,
Brecht

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:32:44 AM UTC+2, Jonas Geiregat wrote:
Hello fellow Pythonistas,

Summer is insight and maybe it's time throw something on the Barbecue ?
Anyway I feel and think it's time for our 3th meet-up.

I would encourage everyone to give at least a lighting talk as we discussed before.
If you have a subject you would like to talk about, post it on the list so we can start putting an agenda together.

If you would like to add something else to the agenda, let me know!

Date, to be determined by the doodle: http://www.doodle.com/c9gkre6te9gh6rmf

Location, also to be determined but it will not be Brussels or Antwerp since those where to places where we previously had our meetings.

Regards,

Jonas Geiregat.

Jonas Geiregat

Jul 10, 2013, 2:16:19 AM7/10/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com

What's the suggested format of the lightning talks? Couple of slides, 10 minutes or so?

That would be wonderful!
There is a Lanyrd page ( http://lanyrd.com/2013/pybug/ ) where you could add your lighting talk!

Thanks in advance,

Jonas.

Steven Reekmans

Jul 10, 2013, 3:53:16 AM7/10/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Yes please do a talk about it :)
You can do it however you want, we have a projector ready where you can hook up a laptop.
Or bring it via USB, or send us a google drive or slideshare link, ...

As a general thought, we should collect the slides used for the talks and put them online somewhere.

Cheers,

Steven Reekmans
Software Engineer
Mobile Vikings
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
--  Emmett Brown, Ph. D, student of all sciences

Franco Minucci

Jul 16, 2013, 5:15:39 PM7/16/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I added me as a speaker in the page event!
I will send the presentation in the next days!

Steven Reekmans

Jul 17, 2013, 5:09:57 AM7/17/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Nice title for your talk by the way :)
Very curious now !

Maarten Huijsmans

Jul 29, 2013, 8:36:08 AM7/29/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Python people,

The location for the the BBQ has been changed. It won't be at the Mobile Vikings offices but in the garden of our CEO. It's still in Hasselt and not that far away from the office. We expect you around 19h in Hasselt for:
 - lightning talks
 - video Good is good enough
 - BBQ and beers.

By train
People that were planning to come by train will still have to go to the "Kiewit station", it's near our offices. Someone of us will wait there to pick you up and bring you to the bbq. Let me know upfront if you're coming by train. You can reach me on: +32 485 14 55 39

By car
The new location is still in Hasselt and a few minutes drive from our offices.

Kleinstraat 13,
3500 Hasselt (Godsheide)

The weather will be good on Friday, so don't forget to bring your swimsuit, really :)

Kind Regards
Maarten Huijsmans

Email: maarten.huijsmans [AT] gmail.com
Twitter: @lukin0110

djinja vermaelen

Jul 29, 2013, 9:55:39 AM7/29/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Three brief questions.

  1. should we register?
  2. how much does it cost to attend?
  3. are the topics of the papers known (apart from the snake in the lab)?

Thanks in advance and kudos for organizing this!

dv

Steven Reekmans

Jul 29, 2013, 10:52:06 AM7/29/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
We would like you to register, so that we have an overview of how much people will attend.

The BBQ is fully sponsored by MobileVikings.

For most topics I think you need to read up on this list :)
But I just got a list from some of our devs that will give a talk:
( I also asked for them to join the lanyrd page )
- Jonathan Slender: Python Deployer (https://github.com/jonathanslenders/python-deployer)
- Jef Geskens: Angular + Django
- Koen Vossen: Python Tips & Tricks
- Jan Fabry: ligther mystery talk :)
- Kristof Houben: lighter mystery talk :)

Steven Reekmans
Software Engineer
Mobile Vikings
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
--  Emmett Brown, Ph. D, student of all sciences

Jeroen Dierckx

Jul 29, 2013, 4:48:37 PM7/29/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
I have added my talk on the Lanyrd page.

Question: i might have a second lightning talk; something about Mobile
App Business Models.
It has nothing to do with Python directly, but I thought since our
host is Mobile Vikings ... ? Anyone interested?

On the other hand, with the Viking team's talks it seems like there
are quite enough talks already for me to do two, no? i just don't know

I would appreciate some feedback to see if i should make an effort. Thanks.

Best regards,
Jeroen

On 29 July 2013 16:52, Steven Reekmans
> "Python Belgian User Group - pyBug" group.

Maarten Huijsmans

Jul 29, 2013, 5:16:43 PM7/29/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
just do it :)

Steven Reekmans

Jul 30, 2013, 3:44:46 AM7/30/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we can reserve it for one of the last talks.
But I am very interested :)

Steven Reekmans
Software Engineer
Mobile Vikings
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
--  Emmett Brown, Ph. D, student of all sciences

djinja vermaelen

Jul 30, 2013, 4:42:32 AM7/30/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. I have just registered on lanyrd.

Looking forward to it and to meeting you guys.

kudos@MV for sponsoring.

Regards,

Brecht Machiels

Aug 1, 2013, 3:10:43 PM8/1/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
I understand that everything will take place at Kleinstraat, not just the BBQ?

Se you tomorrow!

Maarten Huijsmans

Aug 1, 2013, 4:47:06 PM8/1/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
Yep, everything happens at Kleinstraat. The weather is good and the place is way more nicer then the campus.

The place
Its the biggest house in the street

If you come by train..
... call/text me when you arrive. We'll pick you up at the Kiewit station

Jan Fabry

Aug 2, 2013, 6:26:08 AM8/2/13
to python-belgi...@googlegroups.com
The contact number for tonight again: : +32 485 14 55 39. Best to send an SMS once you are on your train, so we know when you will arrive. If you come to Kiewit you will probably be on the train Gent-Genk, arriving at 18:34. If you take a later train I suggest you get off at Hasselt, and we'll pick you up there. For example, if you are on the train Knokke/Blankenberge to Tongeren (18:51) or Antwerp-Liege (18:38): don't wait for the transfer to Kiewit (it will only be there at 19:34), just call us. We will bring something Viking-related to the station so you can recognize us.

Of course, we can also bring you back to the station at the end of the evening.

Jan