cyclic graph for CRF

Wenya Wang

Dec 21, 2015, 6:43:54 AM12/21/15
to pystruct
Hi all,

I would like to test with pystruct with more general CRF graph structures. Currently, my graph includes a linear chain structure, as well as tree structure. (you can think of it as a skip-chain CRF). Hence, it is possible to have cyclic components.

Is it possible to train with GraphCRF? And how about the inference method? Is max-product able to deal with this cyclic graph? I checked GRMM in mallet and they use tree reparameterization (TRP) for inference. Is any method in pystruct similar to that?

Thanks!

Wenya

Andreas Mueller

Dec 29, 2015, 11:37:32 AM12/29/15
to pyst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wenya.
Sorry for the slow reply over the holidays.
PyStruct can work with a large array of inference methods. max-product might not be the best choice here.
I recommend installing OpenGM, which comes with many different algorithms. I'm not sure what TRP is referring to,
is that the same as TRW?

You can use GraphCRF for training for you graph. Just be aware that all edges in GraphCRF have "the same meaning", and there is a single n_states x n_states transition matrix.

Best,
Andy

Wenya Wang

Jan 1, 2016, 11:32:18 PM1/1/16
to pystruct
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply!

I am not quite familiar with all the inference method. TRP is the one I found in mallet, which represent tree-based reparameterization method for tree-CRF inference.
I will try with graphCRF. In that case, it should work. Maybe I also need to get more familiar with tree-based inference methods.

Thanks for the explanation, it helps!

Best regards,
Wenya