footnotes in plots ?

josef...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2016, 4:19:19 PM8/14/16
to pystatsmodels
What's the opinion about adding footnotes to plots, that can
optionally be turned off?

e.g. the first plot here is an influence plot
http://www.statsmodels.org/dev/examples/notebooks/generated/regression_plots.html

The plot doesn't mention what the sizes of the disks/circles represent.
Also, the y-axis could use either one of two definitions (external or internal).

BTW: reading that notebook again, I think it's very "nice" (written by
Skipper a long time ago)

some plots could benefit from a face lift, but I'm just fixing bugs.

Josef

Alan G. Isaac

Aug 15, 2016, 3:40:51 PM8/15/16
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
On 8/14/2016 4:19 PM, josef...@gmail.com wrote:
> What's the opinion about adding footnotes to plots, that can
> optionally be turned off?

I think of figure footnotes as part of the document,
not part of the figure. (Since this is also true
of the caption, it is admittedly a fuzzy line.)

fwiw,
Alan

Paul Hobson

Aug 15, 2016, 3:56:10 PM8/15/16
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Alan on this one. I believe the figure instances are returned in most cases. So users can add their own footnotes if they want.