Error 126: Could not open Dll "python23.dll"

mw8812

Sep 30, 2010, 7:48:56 PM9/30/10
to PyScripter
I just tried to install PyScripter and on the first run I got Error
126: Could not open Dll "python23.dll". Any ideas?

PyScripter

Sep 30, 2010, 8:01:56 PM9/30/10
to PyScripter
This shows that PyScripter could not find a python installation. To
use PyScripter you need to have python installed. Download a python
distribution from pythhon.org, install it and try again.

If you do have a python installation that is not registered (say
python26) then you can start PyScripter with the command-line options,
e.g.:
PyScripter --PYTHON26 --PYTHONDLLPATH c:\python26

mw8812

Oct 1, 2010, 6:23:22 PM10/1/10
to PyScripter
I have already installed Python 2.6 and it runs fine, still no luck
with PyScripter. Tried entering PyScripter --PYTHON26 --PYTHONDLLPATH
c:\python26 into the command line and it barked at me for invalid
syntax. I'm new to python, patience please.

PyScripter

Oct 1, 2010, 6:43:02 PM10/1/10
to PyScripter
Try:
PyScripter --PYTHON26 --PYTHONDLLPATH "c:\python26"

Jason Abbott

Oct 9, 2010, 2:54:24 PM10/9/10
to PyScripter
Seems you'll also get this error if you've installed a 64-bit Python.

Wim Leys

Nov 30, 2013, 12:15:24 PM11/30/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com, goo...@eyeregard.com
Hi,

I installed PyScrpter with PyScripter-setup.exe from http://mmm-experts.com and I got the same error message: "error 126: could not open python23.dll".
After some Googling and following the suggestions, I still could not get it to work.

Until I found this site (http://code.google.com/p/pyscripter). Here I downloaded the latest version of PyScripter, PyScripter-v2.5.3-Setup.exe. After installation, it worked perfect, right away. No need to add python23.dll in a Windows system directory, extending the PATH environment variable, ....

The version the mmm-experts are offering is 1.7.2, from October 26th 2006(!). That alone explains a ton. Beats me why that site is still offering that.

Hope this will help someone.

Wim

Colin J. Williams

Nov 30, 2013, 1:28:11 PM11/30/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for pointing this out. The London Business College was the base
for Kiriakos VLahos, during the early days of PyScripter development.

He was last heard of in the Greek sunshine.

Typically, PyScripter is a smooth install.

The MMM-Experts site appears to be no longer maintained.

Colin W.