Dock feature proposals

Daniel Lidstrom

Mar 15, 2015, 5:18:23 AM3/15/15
to pyqt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luke,

I've got a couple branches in my fork that I'm not sure are appropriate for a pull request:
https://github.com/lidstrom83/pyqtgraph/tree/editable_dock_titles
https://github.com/lidstrom83/pyqtgraph/tree/close_signal_upon_dock_close

The first would allow dock labels to be updated.

The second would ensure a signal is emitted any time a dock is closed (programmatically or by the user).  I use this to properly close the widgets contained in the docks.  Actually, in my app I just add this to the Dock.close method:

for w in self.widgets:
.close()

but emitting a signal seemed more general/less invasive for a potential pull request.

Are either of these something you'd like to include in pyqtgraph?  In the future should I just submit pull requests for these kinds of things I'm not sure about and just have the discussion on github, or would you prefer I propose them here first?

BTW thanks for this wonderful library, it's really a pleasure to use!

Cheers,
Daniel

Luke Campagnola

Mar 15, 2015, 8:51:11 AM3/15/15
to pyqt...@googlegroups.com
Both of these look great to me, Daniel! Please do open PRs.

Thanks!

Luke Campagnola

Aug 13, 2015, 2:20:47 PM8/13/15
to pyqt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

You have surely noticed that I have not got around to your PRs. This is because I am perpetually swamped and pretty much only have time to implement the features and fixes that I personally need in pyqtgraph. This is a big problem for pyqtgraph as I am currently the only one with commit privileges. I am committed to solving this, though, and would like to build a team of 5 or so developers to collaborate on maintaining pyqtgraph.

The code you have submitted looks good to me, and it appears you have a lasting interest in the project, so I am wondering whether you have an interest in participating in the maintenance of pyqtgraph. This would not imply a major time commitment--something like a few hours per month or per week. The specific responsibilities I am looking to delegate are:

1) Reviewing incoming PRs, with careful attention paid to API changes.
2) Triaging github issues and either fixing them or identifying others in the community who might be willing/able to fix them.
3) Help writing unit tests (or encouraging others to write unit tests), especially to cover the github issues as they appear.
4) Help improving documentation (or encouraging others to improve the documentation).
5) Discussion on (and eventual participation in) the future roadmap for pyqtgraph.

Let me know if this interests you!

Daniel Lidstrom

Aug 18, 2015, 7:40:44 PM8/18/15
to pyqtgraph
Hey Luke,

I'd be glad to help with maintaining pyqtgraph.  Since I make pretty extensive use of it in my current job, I may be able to dedicate some of my work time towards this as well.

Working through all of the outstanding PRs would I think help to encourage contributors.  I'll start with reading, commenting on, and testing these.

Thanks for asking!

Daniel Lidstrom

Aug 18, 2015, 8:57:01 PM8/18/15
to pyqtgraph
Also, sorry for the delayed response - I hadn't signed up for email notifications for this list until now.

Don't hesitate to ask me to work on any specific tasks you'd like addressed first.