PyPI/Warehouse: infrastructure hardening & the CAPTCHA conundrum

Sumana Harihareswara

Mar 20, 2018, 10:12:51 PM3/20/18
to DistUtils mailing list, pypa-dev
So we aren't quite at beta yet, but we'll be shouting about pypi.org *really soon*. We have nearly all the Warehouse improvements we need for beta, and nearly all the infrastructure improvements we believe we'll need for the switchover.

I'll tell you how you can help, then talk about the current state of things.

If you follow https://status.python.org/  you saw we did some load testing last week and learned from it! We redirected some traffic, for a few periods, for `pip install`, from the old server to Warehouse, and learned from it. For instance, people running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (long term service release) are usually using a pretty old version of pip, and people on some versions of the Mac OS have older versions of Python and old versions of security-related libraries that don't support the version of TLS that we want them to use. Ernest, Donald and Dustin did a bunch of work addressing this, including Donald putting out pip 9.0.2.

(A thing to understand about Ernest's continuing work on PyPI and distribution infrastructure is that it's in a lot of places. It's cabotage & a test cabotage app, configuration with salt, conveyor, pip & get-pip, and he filed a bug in Kubernetes which I personally find particularly impressive. And it's in user-facing communication in IRC and GitHub comments and on our statuspage and Twitter, plus a lot of internal discussion with infrastructure colleagues. I have a harder time gathering links for Ernest's work for these emails than for my other teammates; regrets.)

As usual, a summary of the past week's work is in our meeting notes. We have new features like letting PyPI administrators add new trove classifiers easily, infrastructure improvements like this complexity reduction,  ton of polish and bug fixing around layout, description content types (Markdown!), a FAQ restructuring, a more useful collaboration page, etc. And we reviewed and merged a lot of volunteers' pull requests!

Thanks to our prolific volunteers:

And thanks to our many bug reporters, especially those who helped us learn from our load tests.

More next week, as usual.

Thanks to Mozilla for their support for the PyPI & Warehouse work!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Warehouse project manager