Warehouse update: recent progress

Sumana Harihareswara

Jan 15, 2018, 10:32:49 PM1/15/18
to pypa...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year!

After the late-December holiday season, the Warehouse team had a meeting
and followup chats last week to discuss the first milestone, the MVP for
package maintainers to try Warehouse and give feedback.[0]

Full notes from a January 10th meeting and its followups are on the PSF
wiki.[1] Highlights from that meeting and related work in the last week
and change:

* A number of items were blocked on Nicole Harris's availability --
she's the designer working on our front-end views. We sorted out things
she needs and are making better progress on those now.
* Donald wrote to distutils-sig[2] about removing OpenID/Google login
support for PyPI.[3]
* Ernest and Nicole are working on a maintainer views meta-issue to
"Classify, describe, and share the *current* functionality implemented
by PyPI to assist contributors while developing warehouse's maintainer
UI."[4]
* The Warehouse roadmap, which previously only lived in GitHub milestone
descriptions, is now all in one wiki page for easier reading and linking.[5]
* Dustin has been working on adding the ability for a project owner to
add/remove roles for their projects.[6]
* Ernest has been continuing to work on deployment infrastructure, which
is getting more robust and resilient.
* We've created, reviewed, improved, and/or merged several other pull
requests to Warehouse and related projects. In particular, development
is now getting easier, as we have an SMTP service for development[7] and
a better Makefile[8], and are getting better testing instructions.[9]

We are incrementally getting a clearer picture of what work is left in
this milestone so I can get you an estimate of when the Maintainer MVP
will be. And Warehouse continues to get easier to hack on; feel free to
join us on Freenode in case you want any help as you poke around the
Warehouse code![10]

[0] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/milestone/8
[1] https://wiki.python.org/psf/PackagingWG/2018-01-10-Warehouse
[2] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2018-January/031855.html