Documenting the build system interface used by pip

Paul Moore

Mar 24, 2014, 9:28:34 AM3/24/14
to pypa-dev
I'm looking to add a section to the pip documentation that covers what
interface pip uses to the build system (basically, the setup.py
commands that must be present for pip to work).

I'm thinking that this should go into the "Reference Guide" section of
the docs, but at the moment that only has subsections for the
individual pip subcommands. Does anyone see any problem with expanding
the scope of the reference guide section to include this information?

Paul

Marcus Smith

Mar 24, 2014, 12:10:19 PM3/24/14
to pypa...@googlegroups.com
It could go here: http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/reference/pip_install.html
building is part of `pip install`.

Paul Moore

Mar 24, 2014, 12:21:29 PM3/24/14
to Marcus Smith, pypa-dev
On 24 March 2014 16:10, Marcus Smith <qwc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It could go here:
> http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/reference/pip_install.html
> building is part of `pip install`.

... except the bits that are part of "pip wheel" (which to my mind are
more important because in the distant future installs will be done via
building a wheel, and the direct install from sdist machinery will be
obsolete).

On the other hand, the idea of documenting the setup.py interface that
is used on a per-command basis is not unreasonable.

Paul

Marcus Smith

Mar 24, 2014, 12:28:24 PM3/24/14
to Paul Moore, pypa-dev