New to Pip community, trying to add --architecture option to 'pip wheel'

mjen...@foursquare.com

Jun 16, 2015, 10:58:29 AM6/16/15
to pypa...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

My name is Mathew Jennings and I am a summer intern with Foursquare, working on their Developer Systems team, specifically on the open source build tool Pants. As part of my Pants project, one of the first steps was to examine the Pip codebase and see if we could ask it to download wheels (and their transient dependencies) designed for an architecture that may or may not be the architecture of the machine running the Pip command. The goal is to just collect these wheels (not build them) and then package them up for distribution later.

I attempted to implement this in a recent Pull Request, seen here: https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2911

Here are my Travis CI results: https://travis-ci.org/pypa/pip/builds/66939197

A lot of it went red, and I'm not entirely sure why. Being new to the Pip community, I thought I should introduce myself, explain what I'm attempting to do, and then see if any more seasoned developers could shed some insight on helping me to finish properly testing this contribution of mine.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Mathew Jennings