Pyramid 1.6b1 released

Michael Merickel

Nov 15, 2015, 9:54:49 PM11/15/15
to Pylons
Hey everyone, we've just cut 1.6b1. There are a few important changes to note:

- pserve --reload will no longer crash due to syntax errors in your code! Yay!

- We are officially deprecating the daemon / supervision support in pserve. This includes --daemon, --pid-file and --monitor-restart among others.

- Custom pshell runners have been split out into entry points. This means that to continue using ipython or bpython you need to install pyramid_ipython and/or pyramid_bpython from PyPI. You may also add your own and they will be automatically discovered.

- Cache busting support has been hashed out and a new ManifestCacheBuster has been included for you to use alongside your asset pipelines.

We've had very few complaints about any changes made in 1.6 series so far and it has been baking for an embarrassingly long time so I'm planning to do a final release in 7-10 days assuming there are no major issues justifying another beta round.

Enjoy, and please report any issues you find to the issue tracker at
<https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/issues>

Thanks!

Bert JW Regeer

Nov 15, 2015, 10:24:23 PM11/15/15
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your hard work Michael!

Bert

Michael Merickel

Nov 15, 2015, 11:15:13 PM11/15/15
to Pylons
1.6b2 is released as well. I'm not doing to do a separate thread for this, but there was a minor feature that was intended to be released that went missing, so 1.6b2 was born.

Enjoy!

Ergo

Nov 16, 2015, 11:02:08 AM11/16/15
to pylons-discuss
 Thanks for all the hard work.

We appreciate it.

Jonathan Vanasco

Nov 19, 2015, 1:43:48 PM11/19/15
to pylons-discuss

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 9:54:49 PM UTC-5, Michael Merickel wrote:
- pserve --reload will no longer crash due to syntax errors in your code! Yay!

This is actually amazing.  Thank you!

Michael Merickel

Nov 19, 2015, 1:49:50 PM11/19/15
to Pylons
It's not perfect as it'll still crash on non-syntax-errors (mostly bad imports). We'll try to improve that at some point but this is a good start for many types of errors.

Kamal Gill

Nov 19, 2015, 2:02:32 PM11/19/15
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
I found the crash-on-errors behavior useful since it’s better to be alerted of those errors sooner rather than later IMO.  Is the new behavior configurable?

-Kamal

Bert JW Regeer

Nov 19, 2015, 2:05:18 PM11/19/15
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
You’ll still be alerted that there is a syntax error, but the whole thing won’t come crashing down forcing you to restart it.

Kamal Gill

Nov 19, 2015, 2:06:59 PM11/19/15
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, that works for me. Thanks for clarifying!

Jonathan Vanasco

Nov 19, 2015, 3:25:36 PM11/19/15
to pylons-discuss

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 1:49:50 PM UTC-5, Michael Merickel wrote:

It's not perfect as it'll still crash on non-syntax-errors (mostly bad imports). We'll try to improve that at some point but this is a good start for many types of errors.

This will save me at least a dozen 10-second manual restarts every day, and each one of those is when i'm already mad about a bug that was checked in.  This will do wonders for my nerves!