Good gridview component for pyramid

Dmitry Komarov

Sep 29, 2015, 10:22:03 PM9/29/15
to pylons-discuss
Do you know any good server-side html grid generators for pyramid?
Desired features: paging, sorting, column filters

Dmitry Komarov

Sep 29, 2015, 11:26:33 PM9/29/15
to pylons-discuss
At the pyramid freenode IRC I was advised to use js libraries for grid rendering on the client.
But if you don't mind I would like to listen about server-side options too : )

Robert Forkel

Sep 30, 2015, 4:08:02 AM9/30/15
to pylons-discuss
From my experience, this kind of middleware mediating between the data source and a JS library is
1. hard to maintain - library versions on both ends may change all the time,
2. often limited in capabilities,
3. not that much code anyway
so that I guess many people do what I did and roll their own. In my case, I use jquery DataTables [1] for the front end, sqlalchemy to talk to the database and have a custom DataTable class [2] (plus a view [3] and a template) in between.
That's quite a bit of wiring, but I guess not much more than configuration of a fairly capable gridview component would require.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Dmitry Komarov <d9k...@gmail.com> wrote:
At the pyramid freenode IRC I was advised to use js libraries for grid rendering on the client.
But if you don't mind I would like to listen about server-side options too : )

Vincent Catalano

Sep 30, 2015, 11:42:00 AM9/30/15
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dmitry,

I agree with Robert, you're better off picking a few libraries and rolling your own. I've found that I always run into some limitations with libraries that provide everything out-of-the-box.

That being said, one good library for server-side table rendering is webhelpers - primarily the webhelpers.paginate module. However, if you are able to use Javascript and don't mind some client-side rendering, Datatables is by far the best library out there.
--
Vincent Catalano
Software Engineer and Web Developer,

Jonathan Vanasco

Sep 30, 2015, 6:55:20 PM9/30/15
to pylons-discuss
FWIW, we do a lot of this rendering using json output and Dust.js.  The reason why we chose that as the templating language is that it's supported in browser via javascript and there are various options available for server side rendering (for example, a python library Ashes is largely compliant).   With a quick toggle, we can send web pages rendered templates or just the data source.