Dropping setup.cfg

Mike Orr

Apr 17, 2014, 1:26:44 PM4/17/14
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
The What's New in Pyramid 1.5 says:

"Updated docs and scaffolds to keep in step with new 2.0 release of
Lingua. This included removing all setup.cfg files from scaffolds and
documentation environments."

What's the background on this? First I had to find out what Lingua is;
it's an internationalization package that "replaces the use of the
xgettext command from gettext, or pybabel from Babel." So I looked
through its documentation and changelog for something along the lines
of "We used to read some configuration settings from setup.cfg but we
changed paradigms in 2.0", but there was nothing.

I started looking through my setup.cfg's to see if they were obsolete
too. The one in WebHelpers2 has settings for Setuptools and Nose. The
one in Kotti has settings for PyTest, Setuptools ("[aliases]"),
translations, and minification. So I decided to keep my setup.cfg's
until I'm sure I won't use them, so I'm not deleting them and later
recreating them. So this gets back to, how did Pyramid decide that
setup.cfg was no longer worthwhile in scaffolds?

There was also work on a Setuptools successor that was going to
eliminate setup.py and replace it with setup.config. That was aborted
and the Setuptools/Distribute integration doesn't have it, but it may
come back someday.

--
Mike Orr <slugg...@gmail.com>

Michael Merickel

Apr 17, 2014, 1:37:04 PM4/17/14
to Pylons
Babel uses options in the setup.cfg to determine how to do string extraction and a bunch of other stuff. Lingua defers this logic to the standard gettext commands and thus those sections of setup.cfg were no longer necessary. They also were the only options in setup.cfg and so we removed the files altogether.

--
Mike Orr <slugg...@gmail.com>