Begginer Advice

Bojan Stepic

Nov 25, 2014, 9:12:41 AM11/25/14
to pylons...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone. I wanted to see if anyone would have advice on how to approach learning pyramid framework.I have solid knowledge of python and I am trying to branch out to using packages, modules, frameworks etc. I know that there is documentation provided on the pylons site, but for a person that is just starting with learning the MVC architecture it looks quite daunting. Any beginner level advice that you might share from your experiences? Thank you.

Karl .O Pinc

Nov 25, 2014, 11:09:34 AM11/25/14
to pylons...@googlegroups.com, Bojan Stepic
Hi,
The approach I took was to go through the reference documentation, the book. The first chapter or 2 get you set up with a new project and then only the next couple of chapters are really necessary to produce something reasonably workable. The one exception might be authentication and authorization. I had to skip ahead and go through that in detail.

The tricky part is really all of the various tools that you mix in. ORM, templateing etc.. Pyramid itself really isn't that big.
Karl <k...@meme.com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Steve Piercy

Nov 25, 2014, 1:43:19 PM11/25/14
to pylons...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bojan,

To begin learning Pyramid, here are some suggested resources.

This site shows you how to create a simple one-file Pyramid
application. More importantly, its navigation provides entry
points to other resources for learning Pyramid. I consider this
page as my Pyramid home base.
http://trypyramid.com/

For a new person to Pyramid, I would recommend the Quick
Tutorial. It provides a comprehensive step-by-step introduction
to the concepts of web applications, using Pyramid as the medium.
http://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/en/latest/quick_tutorial/index.html

When I'm ready to try something else, I go back to
TryPyramid.com and pick something from the navigation.

As far as MVC, well, Pyramid does not fit well into that
concept. See:
http://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/en/latest/designdefense.html?highlight=mvc#pyramid-gets-its-terminology-wrong-mvc

--steve

On 11/25/14 at 6:12 AM, bst...@hotmail.com (Bojan Stepic) pronounced:
------------------------
Steve Piercy, Soquel, CA

Bojan Stepic

Nov 25, 2014, 3:32:19 PM11/25/14
to pylons...@googlegroups.com, bst...@hotmail.com
Thank you for your advice Robert. It means a lot!

Bojan Stepic

Nov 25, 2014, 3:34:57 PM11/25/14
to pylons...@googlegroups.com
Awesome help, Im glad there is a vibrant community behind pyramid. It will mean a lot in the future.
Thank you Steve.