Ecommerce platform based on Pyramid/Pylons

Ecommerce Platform Architect

Jul 29, 2015, 4:39:47 AM7/29/15
to pylons-devel
Hi,

I have been using Python based framework for quite sometime and have built social networking platform, CMS platform for Videos etc. using python frameworks.

Right now I am evaluating a platform for Ecommerce which is our company's next target. Hence, I was wondering if there's any open-source ecommerce platform built on Pyramid. For example Django has Oscar, Saleor etc.
We could build the platform ground up but time to market is of essence. Hence, was looking for some already available modules/framework.

Would appreciate your help/response.

Thanks.

Ecommerce Platform Architect

Jul 31, 2015, 1:25:38 AM7/31/15
to pylons-devel, pina...@gmail.com
Would really appreciate if someone could give me any pointers. I tried searching on the net but couldn't find any open source ecommerce framework on pyramid/pylons.

Thanks,
Pinakee

Steve Piercy

Jul 31, 2015, 2:03:46 AM7/31/15
to pylons...@googlegroups.com
There are none. There are probably many proprietary ecommerce
apps written on top of Pyramid.

There are many application development environments built on top
of Pyramid which may facilitate the creation of an ecommerce app.
http://docs.pylonsproject.org/en/latest/docs/pyramid.html#sample-pyramid-development-environments

There are maybe a half-dozen FOSS ecommerce apps written in
Python using Plone and Django.

--steve

On 7/30/15 at 10:25 PM, pina...@gmail.com (Ecommerce Platform
Architect) pronounced:
------------------------
Steve Piercy, Soquel, CA

Tres Seaver

Jul 31, 2015, 5:51:26 PM7/31/15
to pylons...@googlegroups.com, Carlos de la Guardia

Ecommerce Platform Architect

Aug 3, 2015, 1:32:01 AM8/3/15
to pylons-devel
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response and the info.

Will look into the app development environment on Pyramid.

Thanks,
Pinakee

Iain Duncan

Aug 4, 2015, 10:35:26 PM8/4/15
to pylons...@googlegroups.com
I think you'll find fewer people releasing things like that on the Pyramid/SQLAlchemy stack because most people move to Pyramid+SQLA because they want to be able to do things *exactly their way*, so they are looking for tools to make their own custom deal. In my experience, E-Commerce is one of those things where some people "just want to sell t-shirts on line" and everything is *normal*, or the opposite is trure: it's the core of your business and getting it just right is worth a lot of money. If the latter is your case, then bending your business process to a product isn't very attractive anyway so you prob don't want someone else's decisions.

My advice, if you're needs are simple or e-commerce is not a very important part of the business, stick to django, and if it's key to your business and you want it your way, do it in Pyramid+SQAlchemy. (I've done both over the years, FWIW.)

iain

Tim Hoffman

Sep 13, 2015, 4:43:58 AM9/13/15
to pylons-devel
I haven't seen one as yet.

I am pretty much in agreement with Iain Duncan.

I am a build it myself person. I have a light weight CMS based on Pyramid running on appengine that has been running for years.

We currently use an hosted ecommerce platform (ePages) but have had enough of it.  I will be adding ecommerce directly to our CMS over the next six months.

However I don't think I will implement the payment component myself, but will probably use FoxyCart as a service.

Most of the work I need to tackle is the product management, related items, spares, technical details of the products, upsells etc..

It also has to link to the POS I developed that we run in the shop.  That way I only have to manage product details (pricing ) in  one place, at the moment we have it in 3 places for instance ;-(
Though the are rudimentary batch updates to keep it all in sync.

So none of the other platforms suit me (I am personally not a big fan of Django ) and pyramid worked so well on appengine for me, so it's the logical path forward at the moment.

Cheers

Tim