Pylons 1.x maintenance

Andrew Shadura

Jul 19, 2015, 7:47:45 AM7/19/15
to pylons...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm one of the developers of Kallithea, a source code hosting and
review system, which is currently based on Pylons 1.0. As we're busy
polishing essential features of the software, we don't currently have
time or manpower to migrate to some less obsolete framework, so we
stick to Pylons. It happens we need certain things to be fixed in
Pylons, but it seems the old code doesn't receive much love these days
and it's not really well-maintained.

I wonder, what if we take over the maintenance of the project and so
that we can keep it more alive than it is currently? We'd really not
like to have our own fork of Pylons :)

[0] https://kallithea-scm.org/

--
Cheers,
Andrew

Steve Piercy

Jul 19, 2015, 1:35:13 PM7/19/15
to pylons...@googlegroups.com
"Take over" implies ownership. Is that what you mean?

You could be added as a Core Developer so that you can manage
pull requests.
https://github.com/orgs/Pylons/teams/core-developers

You are more than welcome to make contributions to the code,
following the contribution guidelines.
http://www.pylonsproject.org/community/how-to-contribute

--steve

On 7/19/15 at 1:21 PM, and...@shadura.me (Andrew Shadura) pronounced:
------------------------
Steve Piercy, Soquel, CA

Bert JW Regeer

Jul 19, 2015, 1:45:18 PM7/19/15
to pylons...@googlegroups.com

> On Jul 19, 2015, at 11:34 , Steve Piercy <steve.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Take over" implies ownership. Is that what you mean?
>
> You could be added as a Core Developer so that you can manage pull requests.
> https://github.com/orgs/Pylons/teams/core-developers

That’s a non-public team.

> You are more than welcome to make contributions to the code, following the contribution guidelines.
> http://www.pylonsproject.org/community/how-to-contribute
>
> --steve
>

> On 7/19/15 at 1:21 PM, and...@shadura.me (Andrew Shadura) pronounced:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm one of the developers of Kallithea, a source code hosting and
>> review system, which is currently based on Pylons 1.0. As we're busy
>> polishing essential features of the software, we don't currently have
>> time or manpower to migrate to some less obsolete framework, so we
>> stick to Pylons. It happens we need certain things to be fixed in
>> Pylons, but it seems the old code doesn't receive much love these days
>> and it's not really well-maintained.
>>
>> I wonder, what if we take over the maintenance of the project and so
>> that we can keep it more alive than it is currently? We'd really not
>> like to have our own fork of Pylons :)
>>
>> [0] https://kallithea-scm.org/
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Andrew

Andrew Shadura

Jul 20, 2015, 12:11:01 PM7/20/15
to Steve Piercy, pylons...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

On Jul 20, 2015 5:11 PM, "Steve Piercy" <steve.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Take over" implies ownership.  Is that what you mean?

I mean being able to react promptly to security and compatibility issues, merge and review patches, tag and upload releases. The core team of Kallithea has necessary skills and experience, so I think we can manage providing Pylons all life support it needs :)

> You could be added as a Core Developer so that you can manage pull requests.
> https://github.com/orgs/Pylons/teams/core-developers

This, together with PyPI authorisation, would be useful.

> You are more than welcome to make contributions to the code, following the contribution guidelines.
> http://www.pylonsproject.org/community/how-to-contribute

P.S. Please Cc me, as I'm not subscribed to the list, and for some reason topic subscription didn't work either.

--
Cheers,
  Andrew

Steve Piercy

Jul 20, 2015, 4:47:30 PM7/20/15
to Andrew Shadura, b...@groovie.org, pylons...@googlegroups.com
On 7/20/15 at 6:10 PM, and...@shadura.me (Andrew Shadura) pronounced:

>Hi,
>
>On Jul 20, 2015 5:11 PM, "Steve Piercy" <steve.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>"Take over" implies ownership. Is that what you mean?
>
>I mean being able to react promptly to security and compatibility issues,
>merge and review patches, tag and upload releases. The core team of
>Kallithea has necessary skills and experience, so I think we can manage
>providing Pylons all life support it needs :)
>
>>You could be added as a Core Developer so that you can manage pull
>requests.
>>https://github.com/orgs/Pylons/teams/core-developers

After a brief chat in #pylons on irc.freenode.net, it was
suggested that a new group, pylons-legacy or something like
that, that has access only to the Pylons repo would be more appropriate.

To proceed, please contact Ben Bangert directly, as he is the
owner of Pylons the web framework, and work out any details. I
don't have any say in the matter; I'm just facilitating.
https://github.com/bbangert

At the very least, you can always fork the project and maintain
your fork, but I understand that you'd like to be a contributor
to the core.

>This, together with PyPI authorisation, would be useful.
>
>>You are more than welcome to make contributions to the code, following
>the contribution guidelines.
>>http://www.pylonsproject.org/community/how-to-contribute
>
>P.S. Please Cc me, as I'm not subscribed to the list, and for some reason
>topic subscription didn't work either.

You are shown as a subscriber with "No email" as your
preference. Would you like me to change that? Other options
are "All email" and "Digest". If you want to change it, you
must have a Google Account for the address.

--steve

Andrew Shadura

Jul 20, 2015, 4:56:38 PM7/20/15
to Steve Piercy, b...@groovie.org, pylons...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 20 July 2015 at 22:47, Steve Piercy <steve.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To proceed, please contact Ben Bangert directly, as he is the owner of
> Pylons the web framework, and work out any details. I don't have any
> say in the matter; I'm just facilitating.
> https://github.com/bbangert

Okay, maybe I should try (again).

> You are shown as a subscriber with "No email" as your preference. Would you
> like me to change that? Other options are "All email" and "Digest". If you
> want to change it, you must have a Google Account for the address.

This is what I wanted, yes, but Google Groups also has ‘subscribe me
to the topics I post to’, but it doesn't work :(

--
Cheers,
Andrew

Ben Bangert

Jul 22, 2015, 1:11:31 AM7/22/15
to Andrew Shadura, Steve Piercy, pylons...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to add you and another person as release maintainers for Pylons (we could setup a separate pylons-legacy team for you on github with access to appropriate repos as well, or I can just stream-line merging anything one of you r+, whichever works). I assume you will also need release access to dependencies such as Routes, WebError, Paste, and such?

I finally just released a new WebError, Routes, and Pylons, and have obviously not had the time to properly devote to legacy maintenance so I'd be thrilled with some active ppl coming on to continue.

Cheers,
Ben

Jan Heylen

Feb 8, 2016, 2:17:45 AM2/8/16
to pylons-devel, and...@shadura.me, steve.pi...@gmail.com, T De Schampheleire
Hi,

May I ask how this story ended, Does Andrew has release access to pylons and it's dependencies such as WebError?

I'm wondering because of the WebError issue I mentioned before:

br,

Jan Heylen