Trying to convert a wxpython app into web with push

Dan Christian

Jan 29, 2014, 11:29:46 AM1/29/14
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
I'm just learning about pyjamas/pyjs.  I'm trying to re-write a wxpython app into a web app with push.

Right now I have a wxpython desktop app that acts as a console to some test execution.  There is streaming output from the test and some custom fields that change frequently when tests are running (often multiple changes per second).

I want to split this into a webserver with all the static stuff (html, javascript), and separate (restartable) process that runs the test.

Is there a good way to do this?

I'm reading up on WebSockets, Comet, JsonRPC, twisted, etc, but I'm not sure what pyjs supports and if there is a way I can have a lightweight test runner process (not a full web server).

Thanks,
-Dan

Lex Berezhny

Jan 29, 2014, 11:34:42 AM1/29/14
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com

Pyjs is only the client side portion. You are free to architect your app so that there is code reuse, just be careful not to pull in (import) server side code in you shared/frontend code that gets compiled to js.

Best way to think about this is that pyjs is just a python to JavaScript translator, nothing more.

Think in terms of what's possible in JavaScript and how you would communicate with the server, then implement that with pyjs.

-lex

--

---

Dan Christian

Jan 29, 2014, 12:44:34 PM1/29/14
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
I really have no idea of what's possible (and portable) in JavaScript.

I was hoping that pyjs would make it so I can reuse my desktop GUI knowledge.

-Dan