Pyjs for mobile

Luca Allulli

Feb 12, 2014, 4:31:08 AM2/12/14
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we are using pyjamas/pyjs to develop a responsive web app, for both mobile and desktop devices. It works very well for every platform and browser, with one major exception: the Android stock browser. Android browser takes a LOT of time (order of 1 minute) to bootstrap the app; thereafter, everything works fine (more or less). I noticed that every pyjamas/pyjs site inicurs in the same issue with the Android browser.

Is there anything that can be done? Unfortunately, Android browser plays a very important role not only because it's the default, preinstalled browser in Android, but also because it is used to provide a WebView within an app. PhoneGap uses it to convert a web app into a standard app.

In my opinion, pyjamas/pyjs would be a very powerful and convenient tool to develop cross-platform mobile apps, if this issue is fixed.

Thank you for your help and best regards,
Luca

C Anthony Risinger

Feb 12, 2014, 12:14:44 PM2/12/14
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
is the delay on every fresh reload? is the server using compression and keep-alive connections? has the pyjs JS output been minified?

aside from the above, there isn't much that can be done *right now*, but i've had several Android phones (including my current Nexus 4) and have never experienced this... what phones are you testing with, and is there a live site available by chance? pyjs is a bit sub-par for mobiles ATM, but it should definitely work AFAIK.

--enable-dynamic-link can boost throughput by maxing out the available connections.  additionally, it prevents blowing the cache when modules are updated (this really should be the default mode)... with this, updating even a single line will cause the entire app to be re-downloaded.

i guess the first step would be to isolate the point of slowdown, eg. try a localhost server... it's not 100% clear to me (seems unlikely Android would take 60 sec just to run the JS)

--

C Anthony Risinger

Luca Allulli

Feb 13, 2014, 9:31:39 AM2/13/14
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply. You can take a look at these sites:

http://pyj.be/
http://muovi.roma.it/percorso/js

It takes a lot of time to open them with a Samsung Galaxy S2, with the Android browser. Chrome, Firefox on Android, Safari and Chrome on iOS work fine.

I will try the --enable-dynamic-link switch to see if anything changes.

Regards,
Luca

--

---