Travis CI Integration restored

Sarvi Shanmugham

Oct 31, 2013, 12:56:18 AM10/31/13
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony/Lex,
    Can one yall merge my latest pull request.
It has a little bit cleanup and Travis-CI integration working.
and with it could you make sure you add Travis-CI badge to the pyjs main web page as well the pyjs/pyjs github page as well

thx,
Sarvi

Lex Berezhny

Oct 31, 2013, 2:04:51 PM10/31/13
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sarvi,

I have merged your pull request. In the future please cleanup the pull request so that there is only one commit. Makes it easier to track things. Also, you should create a separate branch for each pull request.

Here is a quick overview of how to do this (as I am also not a git expert, I hope someone can correct me if there is better way):

First add upstream:

$ git remote add upstream g...@github.com:pyjs/pyjs.git

Create a branch from which you'll create a pull request:

$ git checkout -b branch_for_my_future_pull_request upstream/master

The last part will use upstream/master as the basis for your branch. This will produce a cleaner pull request and reduce conflicts.

Then either make your changes in this branch or merge stuff from another branch, etc.

When you are done, first push your branch to your own fork:

$ git push origin branch_for_my_future_pull_request

You can then also merge this branch into your own master:

$ git checkout master
$ git merge branch_for_my_future_pull_request

Github actually promotes this kind of thing because when you push that branch to your own fork and then login to github it will automatically suggest that you push your new branch to upstream/master.

After your pull request has been merged into upstream/master you can delete it.

$ git push origin :branch_for_my_future_pull_request

There is another benefit to doing things this way.

It will allow you to:
1. Continue to add things to your branch after you have created the pull request independent of any other work you're doing.
2. Allow you to have your own private master independent of upstream/master.

Thank you for all your contributions Sarvi!

 - lex

--

---

Sarvi Shanmugham

Oct 31, 2013, 2:44:02 PM10/31/13
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lex,
   In the recent past I have been cleaning up by coalescing my commits in workspace before pushing it into my repo upstream.
But for this one, I am using a mac, and I couldn't get the .travis.yml file correct in my local repo and I had to push it upstream to
make sure it worked.  I guess I could still cleaned up and did a --force update.

Will use your suggestions below.

Sarvi

PS: Could you please add the Travis-CI badge to both the pyjs.org website main page