GSoC 2015 application

Dingjiang Zhou

Mar 23, 2015, 3:53:49 PM3/23/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jason,
   I am very interested in the PyDy project since professor Zhaodan Kong have let me know about it a few days ago.
   I don't have a strong background on open source code project, but I am very experienced with rigid body dynamics, especially in a 3D environment, because my research is about quadrotors' dynamics and control, there are many coordinate frames to take care and even the angular velocity and coriolis equations would make people crazy. I used to use Matlab to derive motion equations with symbolic expressions, do integration and differentiation and so on, it worked fine but it was really terrible that a minor mistake in the code will leads to disasters. As I tried out some code in PyDy, I found it is greatly simplified compared to my code, and the results are the same. I could say PyDy is perfect designed for me, but it is too shame for not knowing about it.
   I am interested in the topic "Efficient Code Generation" and "Realtime Simulation". I am experienced with C, C++, Matlab and Python, I can read Fortran but I have never compiled it, and I have never tried Octave. For simulation, I used matlab to simulate my quadrotor flight a lot, not in a way as Simulink, but in the way of code simulation and then plot animations, or code and meanwhile plot animation, kind of "real time" simulation.

Regards,
Dingjiang

Jason Moore

Mar 24, 2015, 3:30:42 AM3/24/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Dingjiang,

It sounds like you have a great background for a PyDy project. You don't need to know anything about open source development, we will teach all of that to you during the project.

Note that the application is due in 4 days. You will need to submit a proposal to the Melange system and submit a patch to PyDy or SymPy.

See this document for instructions and information: https://github.com/pydy/pydy/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code#2015

Let us know if you have any questions.