Less than 3 days to get your GSoC application in for PyDy

Jason Moore

Mar 25, 2015, 12:17:52 AM3/25/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Some notes:

Applications due: March 27 @ 19:00 UTC

Google does not except late applications, its best to go ahead and submit what you have now, and you can edit it up till the final deadline in the Melange system.

You must submit an application to Melange:

https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015

The title of the application must start with "PyDy -".

You must also submit a pull request with a patch to either SymPy or PyDy through Github by the deadline.

All instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/pydy/pydy/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code#for-students

Sahil Shekhawat

Mar 25, 2015, 7:18:07 AM3/25/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Is There any organisation other than PSF to which we need to submit our proposal?

TARUN GABA

Mar 25, 2015, 8:05:27 AM3/25/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
For PyDy, you need to submit proposal to PSF only.

Jason Moore

Mar 25, 2015, 11:46:33 AM3/25/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Good point.

If you're project will develop code that will likely all be in SymPy, then you can also submit to organizations that supports SymPy, for example NumFOCUS.

Dingjiang Zhou

Mar 26, 2015, 10:34:37 PM3/26/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
I checked all other proposals, looks like they are more about coding, that I am not very familiar with.

Jason Moore

Mar 26, 2015, 11:07:35 PM3/26/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
You can submit whatever you have in mind. We would like to see to ideas about how you may implement it in code in the proposal. The more you have thought about that the better the proposal is. But it isn't a strict requirement.

The purpose the summer is to implement ideas into generalized code for an open source project. But you don't have to be familiar with all the coding details. The GSoC is for students and we are here to teach you. Your mentor and co-students will help develop your coding skills over the summer. We've had other students that went from little coding to being a proficient open source developer over the summer.

TARUN GABA

Mar 26, 2015, 11:24:59 PM3/26/15
to py...@googlegroups.com

Nearly every project on GSoC demands some good amount of coding, Dingjiang.

if you have basic knowledge on how to code, and some good domain knowledge you should be able to complete your project.
moreover, mentors are always there to guide and help you. :)