quantile (and describe) not ignoring missing values with pandas 0.18.1?

Etienne Chamayou

Jul 5, 2016, 9:04:07 AM7/5/16
to PyData
Hi,

I've just run some code, written while using pandas 0.15.2, with pandas 0.18.1, and with the latter missing values are not ignored by quantile so that:
pd.Series([1,2,3,np.nan]).quantile(0.5) returns nan
pd.Series([1,2,3,np.nan]).describe() returns nan for each percentile

Is it normal? (If yes, why not, the doc of quantile is ok (use of numpy.percentile) but for describe (generate various summary statistics, excluding NaN value) I'm not so sure.)

Cheers,

Etienne

Joris Van den Bossche

Jul 5, 2016, 9:27:46 AM7/5/16