to_latex() should put numbers in math mode

Richard Stanton

Oct 13, 2017, 2:49:39 PM10/13/17
to PyData
When to_latex() exports a data frame to LaTeX, numbers are exported without enclosing them in dollar signs. The problem with this is that they get typeset in text rather than math mode, so negative numbers end up with a hyphen before them rather than a true minus sign. Could we change the behavior of this function to enclose all numeric values in dollar signs, so they get processed by LaTeX in math mode?

Thanks.

Richard Stanton

Joris Van den Bossche

Oct 16, 2017, 3:53:40 PM10/16/17
to PyData
I am not enough LaTeX expert to judge the need for this (has this visual impact for plain positive numbers?), but I would encourage you to open an issue on the issue tracker about this: https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues

Joris