How do the io packages relate to external packages like pandas-gbq?

Tim Swast

Apr 24, 2017, 12:45:39 PM4/24/17
to PyData
I see that the Google BigQuery module code was copied to https://github.com/pydata/pandas-gbq but it is still present at https://github.com/pandas-dev/pandas/blob/master/pandas/io/gbq.py

I'm missing some context for why this duplication exists. Is the the io module getting deprecated and eventually removed?

Paul Hobson

Apr 24, 2017, 12:59:20 PM4/24/17
to pyd...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

Looking at the code, I don't see much duplication. It appears that "base" pandas provides a light weight, top-level interface to pandas-gbq if it also installed for convenience, but otherwise pandas-gbq is doing all of the heavy lifting.
-Paul