Governance for pandas development

Wes McKinney

Jan 16, 2016, 12:02:41 PM1/16/16
to pyd...@googlegroups.com
hi everyone,

wanted to make you aware that we've been discussing adopting and
publishing governance documents for pandas to bring it in line with
Jupyter and NumPy who have recently also done the same.

The first draft of these documents, which were adapted from Jupyter's
version (github.com/jupyter/governance), has been under discussion
here:

https://github.com/pydata/pandas-governance/pull/1

We also have been discussing adopting a code of conduct:

https://github.com/pydata/pandas-governance/pull/2

The hope with any governance documents is that it's a written version
of what is already happening in the development team, but it
additionally provides some clarity around things like the relationship
with NumFOCUS (which provides a conduit for financial support for
pandas).

The documents also describe how to become a part of pandas's core team
and what kind of behavior we expect from one another: e.g. openness
and transparency and minding potential conflicts of interest.

I welcome all to review the documents and raise comments or concerns
either on GitHub or here on the PyData mailing list.

all the best,
Wes

Wes McKinney

Feb 15, 2016, 6:29:34 PM2/15/16
to pyd...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We've been through a few iterations on the pandas governance
documents. We're waiting on one more Core Team member to sign off on
the documents, and we'll look to merge the pull request this week.

If there are any other thoughts or concerns from the community, please
let us know here or directly on the pull request
https://github.com/pydata/pandas-governance/pull/1.

Thanks everyone,
Wes