Python Education Summit 2014 initial planning

naomi.ceder

Oct 6, 2013, 1:32:40 PM10/6/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Since there are many out there who I don't have email addresses for, so please feel free to forward this to anyone who's interested.

Just as a quick recap, in 2013 we held the first ever national Python education summit in conjunction with PyCon. About 80 people spent the day discussing the teaching and learning of Python and programming in general. We had people from community programs like PyLadies and the Boston Python Workshops, from EdX and Udacity, from colleges and universities, and from schools as well as authors curriculum writers.

In brief, it was a success. From the morning keynote by Walter Bender to the last lightning talk people were engaged and excited to be talking about teaching Python. The only negative mentioned in any feedback I saw was that people wanted to  have a more open set of open spaces, that is, rather than selecting one topic at a time for everyone to consider, they would have preferred to have several topics going at once with the freedom to move around as their interests dictated. I think I agree with that point and I strongly suggest we do that the next time.

So, building on last year's success, we have the go-ahead to repeat the summit at PyCon 2014 in Montreal. The summit will take place April 10, 2014 (a Thursday), and is again planned as a day long event.

Here's where you all come in... I will definitely need some help to do this. We have at least 3 areas that need attention fairly quickly:
  1. assuming that we want a keynote speaker again, we need to get started in finding that speaker. Last year we covered transportation and lodging, but didn't give any honorarium - someon needs to work with the conference to see what we can do this year. OTOH, if there are reasons not to have keynote, we need to have that discussion fairly quickly. So if anyone is interested in working on this, please let me know.
  2. We need to get the word out and make sure that everyone interested in Python and education knows about the summit. I'm open changing the way that invitations were handled (or even if they're required) if someone wants to discuss it. So if anyone is interested publicity/recruiting/etc, please let me know.
  3. We need to figure out what the rest of the program will be. Personally I kind of liked the idea of open spaces in the afternoon and want to try more parallel discussions. For the morning, if we want panels, we'll need to figure out the panels and fill them. If we want to have individual papers we need to figure out a process for selecting them.
In addition, there are some reasons why it would be wonderful if we had a few people who wanted to form a core leadership group on this. First of all I'm somewhat out of the Python education business these days, so people a bit more plugged in to Python education would be good. Second, while everything is up in the air right now, there are some options on the horizon for me that would severely curtail the amount of time I have to devote to organizing this. At the very least I know I won't be able to do everything on my own again this year.

Finally, or maybe it should be first of all, we don't have a particular theme or focus or mission beyond just bringing everyone who is interested in teaching Python together. If anyone has a theme that they would like to suggest they should speak up.

I have also emailed most of the participants from last year. If we want we could use this list for organizing things or we can get a mailing list a number of other places.

So here's the call to action. Let me know if you'd be willing to help out, and with what.

Thanks!
Naomi

Jeff Elkner

Oct 7, 2013, 8:08:41 PM10/7/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Naomi!

I've already registered for Pycon, and since it falls during my Spring
break, I can stay for the full sprints. I'm definitely interested in
helping out with the education summit. Please let me know what I can
do to help.

Talk to you soon...

jeff
> --
>
> ---

Chalmer Lowe

Oct 7, 2013, 9:44:41 PM10/7/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Naomi:

I am interested in assisting with the following items...
  1. Figuring out what the rest of the program will be.
  2. Forming a core leadership group.
I will start pulling together some ideas to post for the group's consideration.

Chalmer Lowe

Naomi Ceder

Oct 7, 2013, 9:54:08 PM10/7/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com

Naomi Ceder

Oct 7, 2013, 9:54:41 PM10/7/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks! Both of those will help.

Cheers,
Naomi

Leslie Hawthorn

Oct 8, 2013, 8:21:16 AM10/8/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Naomi,

I would like to help with promotion and can do outreach via my blog and Twitter. Let me know when we're ready for that step and I'm happy to help.

Wish I could join you folks in Montreal!

Cheers,
LH

Naomi Ceder

Oct 8, 2013, 9:21:15 AM10/8/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Leslie!

Jessica Nickel

Oct 8, 2013, 6:53:36 PM10/8/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Hello all. I posted in another part of the group, but I am interested in helping with promotion and in forming the core leadership. I see that others here are interested in this as well. Perhaps we should plan a hangout, skype, or other type of conference call to informally meet and set direction? What are everybody's thoughts?
Thanks, Leslie!

Thanks, Jeff!

Naomi

---

---

---

Jeff Elkner

Oct 8, 2013, 6:56:59 PM10/8/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
+1 (and I prefer hangouts, but can do skype if required) -- jeff elkner

>>> http://identi.ca/lh
>>> http://twitter.com/lhawthorn
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ---
>>

>> --
>> Naomi Ceder
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/111396744045017339164/about
>
> --
>
> ---

Kurt Grandis

Oct 8, 2013, 9:47:04 PM10/8/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I really enjoyed the PyCon Education Summit last year and greatly appreciate all the work Naomi put into making it happen. I would love to pitch in and help out this time around. I'm also available for a hangout once it makes sense. Just a thought: would a quick retrospective of last year help get things laid out for the upcoming event? What worked well? Any bumps? Any thoughts or insights on structure or what to try out? Also, any thoughts on trends or topics that we might want to address in panels or keynotes?

-Kurt

>>> http://identi.ca/lh
>>> http://twitter.com/lhawthorn
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ---
>>

>> --
>> Naomi Ceder
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/111396744045017339164/about
>
> --
>
> ---

Naomi Ceder

Oct 8, 2013, 9:52:01 PM10/8/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
A hangout makes sense to me.

+1

Naomi

Chalmer Lowe

Oct 9, 2013, 2:26:06 AM10/9/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
+1 on a hangout.

Jeff Elkner

Oct 9, 2013, 7:29:01 AM10/9/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Lee Harr
There was a poster session last year by Simeon Franklin titled "Is
Python Newbie Friendly" (see
https://us.pycon.org/2013/schedule/presentation/181/) which I felt
raised some important issues for us in the Python EDU community.

On another note, I've been using a learning environment called Pynguin
which I discovered while web searching at the conference last year
(see http://code.google.com/p/pynguin/) which effectively addresses
several of the concerns raised by Simeon. Pynguin creator Lee Harr is
definitely one of our "unsung heroes" and he has my tremendous
gratitude for creating such an awesome learning tool.

>>> --
>>> Naomi Ceder
>>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/111396744045017339164/about
>
> --
>
> ---

Naomi Ceder

Oct 14, 2013, 10:12:38 AM10/14/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Remy D, Stephen Jacobs
Let me get things started on the negotiations for a hangout time... I can do one 7-10 central time most weekdays (except Tuesday this week). I can also do weekend after noons... Weekdays might be possible, but those are much more problematic...

So, how do other people's schedules play against that?

Thanks,
Naomi

Jessica Nickel

Oct 14, 2013, 10:37:33 AM10/14/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Remy D, Stephen Jacobs
Wednesday - Friday evenings are most negotiable for me. I am EST, so the 7-10 time works out fine for me. Weekends are flexible.

Also, we should start to think about what we want to be on the agenda of this hangout. Naomi, I think that your initial e-mail is a good start for an agenda, and there have been some good questions from others about getting a wrap-up or summary from last year's event. I was unable to attend at the last moment due to some health issues, but are there any videos of presentations or summaries available?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PyCon Education Summit" group.

Jeff Elkner

Oct 14, 2013, 6:49:32 PM10/14/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Remy D, Stephen Jacobs
I'm available after 3:10 PM EST most weekdays, and anytime most
weekends with enough advanced notice. -- jeff

Chalmer Lowe

Oct 14, 2013, 8:02:27 PM10/14/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Remy D, Stephen Jacobs
I am also EST, so a 7-10 CST timeframe works for me.

chalmer
443.650.8769

>>> --
>>>
>>> ---
>>

>> --
>> Naomi Ceder
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/111396744045017339164/about
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---

> --
>
> ---

Andrew Harrington

Oct 14, 2013, 8:40:31 PM10/14/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to be a part, too.  Evenings other than Tues and Weds for me.
main google id : anharr...@gmail.com

Andy Harrington

Dr. Andrew N. Harrington
  Computer Science Department
  Graduate Program Director g...@cs.luc.edu
  Loyola University Chicago
  529 Lewis Towers, 111 E. Pearson St. (Downtown)
  117 Cudahy Science Hall (Rogers Park campus)
http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh
Phone: 312-915-7982
Fax:    312-915-7998
aha...@luc.edu (as professor, not gpd role)

Kurt Grandis

Oct 14, 2013, 8:56:27 PM10/14/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
I can do pretty much any weekday (ideally not Thursday). 7-10 CST will work. Weekends are typically flexible.
It's looking like Friday evening is the only uncontested time slot so far.

Chalmer Lowe

Oct 17, 2013, 5:38:41 PM10/17/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Remy D, Stephen Jacobs
Just checking in... seems like most folks are open on Friday.
Shall we shoot for 7 CST, 8 EST?

Chalmer

>>> --
>>> Naomi Ceder
>>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/111396744045017339164/about
>
> --
>
> ---

---

Andrew Harrington

Oct 17, 2013, 5:40:32 PM10/17/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
OK with me.
Andy

Naomi Ceder

Oct 17, 2013, 5:52:33 PM10/17/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Remy D, Stephen Jacobs
Yes, let's shoot for 7 pm central, 8 eastern on Friday.

That means I'll need Google ID's to invite...  so if you're address isn't a Gmail address, please send me your Google ID at naomi...@gmail.com... I'll start sending invites sometime before 7 on Friday.

Cheers,
Naomi

Naomi Ceder

Oct 18, 2013, 10:13:13 AM10/18/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com, Remy D, Stephen Jacobs
Just to clarify that will be 7 pm Central time tonight, Oct 18.

If you can't make it, let me know.

Cheers,
Naomi

Andrew Harrington