[PROOF OF CONCEPT] Clean your room.

regeh...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2018, 3:50:07 PM1/16/18
to PuzzleScript
Hey guys! This is my crack at level design and teaching through experience. It has a few bugs and some levels need some work, so I'd be happy to hear some criticism.

Sorry, no gif. Couldn't get it to work. ._.

https://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=a6947dc1c849cb92f5484a2ad93045a9

Alan Hazelden

Jan 16, 2018, 7:59:52 PM1/16/18
to regeh...@gmail.com, PuzzleScript
It took me a long time to work out what I was doing in the first level - I tried pushing the [box?] onto the [clothes?] but not the other way around. You probably want a level before that where you're forced to push the clothes into the box before anything else is possible.

Not a big fan of the sliding block mechanics - it's introduced fine but I got to this level and something about it makes me not want to keep playing

Inline images 1

Everything up to this point was tutorialised fine (except the first level, as mentioned)

Hand-E-Food

Jan 16, 2018, 10:39:54 PM1/16/18
to PuzzleScript
I like the theme and the puzzles!

I think that when really dirty laundry is introduced, there should either be two baskets one of which is lost, or the basket should be used twice.  It doesn't make sense that the basket is only used to put mildly dirty laundry into the washing machine.

So next: Something that makes you so dirty you leave a trail of dust everywhere.  Touch the filled laundry basket to strip off and add your dirty clothes to the basket.  Then sweep up. :-D

Hand-E-Food

Jan 16, 2018, 10:58:23 PM1/16/18
to PuzzleScript
That said, I'm stuck in the same place as Alan.  I can't see how it's possible.  To get the mop to through the bottom corridor, you have to push it against the broom.  But then the broom is against the bottom edge and can never be pushed into the dust in the top-left corner.  Similarly, if the broom removes the dust in the top-left, it can never be moved to a position that blocks the mop. Have I missed some key step or is this puzzle actually broken?

regeh...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2018, 11:27:28 PM1/16/18
to PuzzleScript
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 8:58:23 PM UTC-7, Hand-E-Food wrote:
> That said, I'm stuck in the same place as Alan.  I can't see how it's possible.  To get the mop to through the bottom corridor, you have to push it against the broom.  But then the broom is against the bottom edge and can never be pushed into the dust in the top-left corner.  Similarly, if the broom removes the dust in the top-left, it can never be moved to a position that blocks the mop. Have I missed some key step or is this puzzle actually broken?

Just checked, that puzzle is completely broken. I have some work to do.

Also those are awesome ideas! I want to make a game where all of the mechanics interact nicely with each other, and that sounds perfect.

I'll be working on a new prototype.

Skalmantas Šimėnas

Jan 18, 2018, 6:15:14 AM1/18/18
to PuzzleScript
Oof, good thing I didn't spend much time on it before checking reading the comments (I had no idea it would be broken!)

regeh...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 12:01:34 PM1/18/18
to PuzzleScript

Okay, I've fixed all of the levels, and I've taken some advice from Hand-E-Foods. Very dirty laundry now does not destroy washers, but instead requires two baskets to fully clean. Also, I've added two new levels. Thanks for your feedback! Puzzlescript is very easy to work with.

Here's the new link: https://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=663109dd293b71ef8250f0b80ba4b4c3

regeh...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 12:20:03 PM1/18/18
to PuzzleScript

aaaaaand the player is missing from a level.
new new version https://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=83ddbee96e00ed95c80640ed3e18c730

Alan Hazelden

Jan 18, 2018, 5:36:38 PM1/18/18
to Blake Regehr, PuzzleScript
Despite being fixed, that level is still my least favourite by a long way. It's too fiddly, too easy to get yourself in a fail state, not really focused.

All the other levels are pretty solid though

Skalmantas Šimėnas

Jan 19, 2018, 11:13:37 AM1/19/18
to PuzzleScript
I think the real problem is the lack of synergy in the whole game. The dirt on the ground for the broom doesn't mean much at all and it's often trivial to clean it all, at whatever point in time you wish. It would be interesting to try out a ruleset where dirt prevents/discourages movement over it for certain objects (or maybe even all objects). For example, the vacuum cleaner could stop on dirt or on the tile before or, a completely different idea, the player's feet could get muddy and spread the dirt, instead.