[GAME] Snakeskin

Hugo

Apr 2, 2018, 2:09:37 AM4/2/18
to PuzzleScript
Oh hey, look! It's me again!
This time, though, with a new game (instead of a remake/proof of concept). This game is called "Snakeskin", a game where you, as a snake, must eat fruit while also shedding your skin while doing so. The goal is simple: cover the entire field with your dead skin! Be mindful, though: if you leave gaps and fruit spawns there, it will rot and you will starve!

Fun story of how this came to be:
I wanted to make a game that revolved around randomness, without being unfair. Then I thought "hmmm, lemme try remaking Snake". Got fruit spawning and you leaving an extra body behind. "Okay, now all I gotta do is make the body follow you, or the body ahead". While playing around with just the body-spawning, it dawned upon me: "Dang! Having the body follow the head or other body parts in order will be quite a pain to make, I didn't think of it... But oh well, for the time being, let me see if I can fill this board with snake body while I think about it". Once I realized there was a strategy behind it, it was all "Welp, now I know which game I'm making!"

Features:
 - Antitrapping disguised as a game mechanic (why should rotten fruits kill you from afar?);
 - Randomness manipulation - so that you don't go in circles all the time before you get fruit where you need;
 - Swampland, because every snake can swim;
 - Random-looking tiles, because patterns are boring;
 - A lack of undo, because randomness comes at a price;
 - Pro-veganism message: nevermind that the snake would die over time from eating exclusively fruit.

Play it here:

Alan Hazelden

Apr 5, 2018, 1:30:32 AM4/5/18
to Hugo, PuzzleScript
There's some interesting stuff here! It wasn't immediately obvious which situations I got into were fail states and it was enjoyable thinking through the consequences of the mechanics.

I don't think it's interesting for multiple levels though - I'd suggest choosing just one level from each chapter and cutting the rest.

Hand-E-Food

Apr 5, 2018, 9:37:29 AM4/5/18
to PuzzleScript
I found this both enjoyable and frustrating.  There was a challenge to the puzzle, and to keep on top of the solution without making a mistake.  However, the later levels became so dependant on chance to get the next fruit you needed.  On the second last level, when you have about 10 squares left to fill, they have to be filled in a particular order and from a particular direction.  The bottle necks meant there was a 1-in-30 chance that two consecutive fruits appear in the correct locations required to progress.  I completed it in the end, but I think I progressed well toward RSI at the same time.  I don't know how it can be fixed, as some randomness is crucial to this puzzle.

Hugo

Apr 5, 2018, 9:59:47 AM4/5/18
to PuzzleScript
You were not the first to have issues with this level (even I had). So I just updated it to make it less punishing. I might have inadvertently made it too easy, but I wasn't going for difficult puzzles either way :P

Ove Ahlman

Apr 5, 2018, 1:41:41 PM4/5/18
to PuzzleScript
At level 1 I failed by creating two parts. After realizing that this is bad I started playing careful, creating patterns which makes it impossible to fail. This was however very slow, since I ignored many fruits, and made the game very algorithmic and not at all puzzly. I quit when reaching the same level as Hand-E-Food (with the same reason) and do not feel like it is worth coming back to the easier level, since it probably will just be slowly applying my algorithm.

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but I did not like this, but it might be just me.
The best thing Is the graphics, especially the wall textures which I think are really randomly-awesome.

Ove

That Scar

Apr 7, 2018, 11:54:45 AM4/7/18
to PuzzleScript
Pretty cool up until the very last level. A bit too much grinding but it was somewhat interesting. I'm curious of what it was before the update that made it easier.