Skipping Stones To Lonely Homes

Alan Hazelden

Aug 10, 2015, 8:53:57 PM8/10/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
[Not yet released, please don't post about this publicly]

I'm trying to work out how much I need to worry about the difficulty. Please let me know how far you get, and if you find any treasure!

Cheers :)

Alan

Jamie Perconti

Aug 10, 2015, 10:41:52 PM8/10/15
to Alan Hazelden, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
This has been really fun so far! Need to go to bed now, but I've attached a screenshot of the last checkpoint I got to. I'm, uh, not sure if I just discovered a whole new mechanic or if the way I got to this island messed up the game and got me permanently stuck.

If I am on the intended path, I am not super fond of the timing precision required to get here. Especially since realtime interval and undo are not great friends.

[wait isn't this forum public? I'm always glad to playtest your games though Alan]

Oh, and I got 1 treasure. --Jamie

stuck.gif

Alan Hazelden

Aug 11, 2015, 5:02:24 AM8/11/15
to Jamie Perconti, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, yeah that's a stuck state! Can you send me instructions for how you did that?

Which treasure did you find?

Yeah this forum is public, but it feels small enough that I'm happy to release previews on here.

ska...@googlemail.com

Aug 16, 2015, 11:55:45 AM8/16/15
to PuzzleScript
Great game!
See the attached gif where I am stuck. On my way to this point I did not find a treasure. I did not manage to reach the treasure in the upper right corner of the puzzle;-)
Stephan

Stuck.gif

Alan Hazelden

Aug 17, 2015, 9:18:12 PM8/17/15
to ska...@googlemail.com, PuzzleScript

Will release it publicly in a few days assuming no problems come up. Further testing would be appreciated!

Savefiles from the last version will be corrupted and you'll have to start from the beginning.

Screenshots of how far you get are appreciated! Especially if you do anything that feels like sequence breaking, or you think you're permanently stuck.

Jamie Perconti

Aug 17, 2015, 10:30:54 PM8/17/15
to Alan Hazelden, ska...@googlemail.com, PuzzleScript
Is this former-stuck-screen a secret route now? Just figured out how to proceed from here :D --Jamie

 Inline image 1

Jamie Perconti

Aug 17, 2015, 10:51:47 PM8/17/15
to Alan Hazelden, ska...@googlemail.com, PuzzleScript
Well that probably isn't supposed to happen...

Inline image 1

Alan Hazelden

Aug 21, 2015, 8:20:10 AM8/21/15
to Jamie Perconti, ska...@googlemail.com, PuzzleScript
Okay, this is officially released! www.draknek.org/games/puzzlescript/skipping-stones.php

Definitely the most ambitious Puzzlescript game I've made, probably the hardest too. Hope you enjoy!

reso77...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2015, 10:56:48 PM8/27/15
to PuzzleScript
Just finished (sailed home with 7/7 treasures). Man, that was hard. It took me only a few hours to get the wood back to Ship1. Then another day to find the 7 treasures. But another 4 or so days to get to Ship2 -- with or without any treasures. But when I finally figured out how to ricochet my way to the ghost ship, getting there with the 7 treasures wasn't that tough. It probably is "too hard" but I love a challenge. Biggest difficulty is seeing where you are in relation to the rest of the map at any given time.

iczuba...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 3:43:37 AM8/28/15
to PuzzleScript

I played the game some days ago (man! it is haaard) and left it. TOday I wanted to give it another try, hit 'continue' and found this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pKwH1lXFfpZVU3RXcyb2t4a0E/view?usp=sharing

(I don't know how to embed images, sorry)

Alan Hazelden

Aug 28, 2015, 6:35:23 AM8/28/15
to reso77...@gmail.com, PuzzleScript
reso77lution: Well done!

Can I ask how you got the treasure in the bottom-left corner and how you got out again? That's the main one that people kept finding easier unintended solutions to get to.

iczubakczubak: That happened because I edited the game and added some new objects since the first time you played. Puzzlescript doesn't handle this situation very well. Sorry, you'll have to start over from the beginning.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 3:56 AM, <reso77...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just finished (sailed home with 7/7 treasures). Man, that was hard. It took me only a few hours to get the wood back to Ship1. Then another day to find the 7 treasures. But another 4 or so days to get to Ship2 -- with or without any treasures. But when I finally figured out how to ricochet my way to the ghost ship, getting there with the 7 treasures wasn't that tough. It probably is "too hard" but I love a challenge. Biggest difficulty is seeing where you are in relation to the rest of the map at any given time.

reso77...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 3:30:38 PM8/28/15
to PuzzleScript, reso77...@gmail.com
Oops! I replied to Alan on Gmail and forgot to cc it here.

Here's how I got out of the lower left corner with the 6th treasure:

I skipped two stones over the stream to build the bridge (across the sunken pebbles) to the island with the 6th treasure then built a bridge over to the palm tree island and a third bridge two spaces above it back across to divert the stream up to ship 1. The trick is to hop on the lily pad as it passes you.

Connorses

Aug 28, 2015, 4:28:31 PM8/28/15
to PuzzleScript
I think it's neat to see a game with multiple solutions, especially when it's stuff like that. I didn't know you could jump on moving lily pads! :P

Alan Hazelden

Aug 28, 2015, 8:27:04 PM8/28/15
to Connorses, PuzzleScript
Hmm, I follow you until here:

Inline image 1

At which point I have two stones accessible, on the screen west of me. One of those needs to be used to push a lilypad into the stream, so I have one free. On the palm tree island I have two stones that will be usable once I get on there.

To build the third bridge, I need a stone in the top-right corner of the island I'm on, and then throw a stone from the palm tree island. I don't think I can do the first part from this island either, so both stones must come from the palm tree island.

If I had three stones on the palm tree island, I'd be able to do that, then use the third stone to divert a second lilypad into the stream. But I don't - I only have two stones on the palm tree island. I have one spare on the western island, but I don't see how I'd get it to a useful position on the palm tree island.

Your comment suggests that I don't need to divert a second lilypad into the stream, but there's clearly not enough time to jump onto the palm tree island, push two stones into place, then jump back onto the same lilypad.

Please tell me where I've made a mistake, I'd love to be able to see your solution! Or if I haven't made a mistake but you have an additional stone from somewhere?

FYI, my intended solution here is I think pretty neat and doesn't require any fast movement. But it's also not obvious at all, so I'm not surprised you've found an alternative.

Greg Collins

Aug 28, 2015, 11:57:51 PM8/28/15
to Alan Hazelden, PuzzleScript
You have two stones west of you. The second one you send over to the palm tree isle, to the spot where you'd hit it south to launch the last lily pad. You push the left stone to launch the lily pad, which gives you the room to move under the remaining pebble and push it up and over to complete the second bridge before the moving lily pad reaches you.

Hope that makes sense.

I also hope the attached jpg makes it.

SkipStone scrn 01.jpg

Alan Hazelden

Aug 29, 2015, 4:27:13 AM8/29/15
to Greg Collins, PuzzleScript

Ooohhhh! Of course! Lovely solution, almost like I'd intended it :)

Greg Collins

Aug 29, 2015, 4:58:01 PM8/29/15
to Alan Hazelden, PuzzleScript
I discovered another solution for that position, which I'm assuming is the one you intended. Unless there are more than two ways out!

You push the passing lily pad out of the stream with one pebble, then build an "anchor" bridge on the left bank and extend the bridge to two pebbles long (while simultaneously diverting the stream) with your last pebble. This way you can ride the lily pad north right away or go over to the palm tree island to launch the last lily pad. Whew.

Here's another attached jpg to help show what I mean.

SkipStone scrn 03.jpg

ersatz...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2015, 10:14:41 PM8/31/15
to PuzzleScript, al...@draknek.org, ska...@googlemail.com
Still stuck here, myself. Can you tell me / give me a hint as to how you solved it? :)

ersatz...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2015, 10:16:29 PM8/31/15
to PuzzleScript, al...@draknek.org, ska...@googlemail.com, ersatz...@gmail.com
On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 7:14:41 PM UTC-7, ersatz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Still stuck here, myself. Can you tell me / give me a hint as to how you solved it? :)

Shoot, this was supposed to be a reply to Jamie Perconti, on the Former-Stuck-Screen.

Jamie Perconti

Aug 31, 2015, 10:36:38 PM8/31/15
to ersatz...@gmail.com, PuzzleScript, Alan Hazelden, ska...@googlemail.com
Oh! Yeah that screen was tough. My previous post about it was before I'd figured out that it is actually part of the main path. Turns out I'd just found a shortcut. Anyway here's a hint:

SPOILER/HINT
You need to get to the island in the lower right. You could almost ride that lilypad there, but the current doesn't flow quite close enough. But what if you could get it to?
END SPOILER/HINT