[GAME] Sokominoes

Marcos D

Jan 13, 2018, 1:12:18 PM1/13/18
to PuzzleScript
Hello! I'm new to Puzzlescript, and I'm loving it.

I had this idea for a mechanic, and I found it simple enough to implement.

The few levels I made are still experimental, but I hope you enjoy the game and/or have some feedback.

Regards,
Marcos

Stephen Lavelle

Jan 13, 2018, 4:30:26 PM1/13/18
to Marcos D, PuzzleScript
what a weird alien creature.  i find it a little uncomfortable to work with its rules overall, but it's still touch and engaging.

(i feel i would have chosen a different set of fundamental rules for manipulating it - it's both weirdly rigid and weirdly non-rigid at the same time)

Stephen Lavelle

Jan 13, 2018, 5:00:09 PM1/13/18
to Marcos D, PuzzleScript
aha, i tried to implement how i thought they should behave, and, after some iterations, I ended up getting *exactly* the same behaviour.  Though, just because it's a convergent behaviour, I definitely don't stand behind it as being therefore rational :P

(a tiny code difference that you might find interesting

you have designated head component which has no non-algorithmic purpose

late [ Tail ] -> [ aux ]
late [ Head | aux ] -> [ Head | Tail ]
late [ Tail | aux ] -> [ Tail | Tail ]
late [ Aux ] -> Cancel

as an alternative, you can just pick a crate at random and fill from there:

late random [ crate ] -> [ temp crate ]
late [ temp crate | crate ] -> [ temp crate | temp crate ]
late [ crate no temp ] -> cancel
late [temp]->[]

might make level editing 5% easier
)

Marcos D

Jan 13, 2018, 5:13:43 PM1/13/18
to PuzzleScript

On Saturday, 13 January 2018 19:00:09 UTC-3, Stephen Lavelle wrote:
aha, i tried to implement how i thought they should behave, and, after some iterations, I ended up getting *exactly* the same behaviour.  Though, just because it's a convergent behaviour, I definitely don't stand behind it as being therefore rational :P

Hahaha! Beautiful. I take it as a good sign that the mechanic has future ;)

... as an alternative, you can just pick a crate at random and fill from there:

late random [ crate ] -> [ temp crate ]
late [ temp crate | crate ] -> [ temp crate | temp crate ]
late [ crate no temp ] -> cancel
late [temp]->[]
might make level editing 5% easier

Thanks for the suggestion!

Marcos D

Jan 13, 2018, 5:28:33 PM1/13/18
to PuzzleScript

... as an alternative, you can just pick a crate at random and fill from there:
late random [ crate ] -> [ temp crate ]
late [ temp crate | crate ] -> [ temp crate | temp crate ]
late [ crate no temp ] -> cancel
late [temp]->[]
might make level editing 5% easier

Thanks for the suggestion!

Definitely simplified the code for the feature I'm adding right now: multiple independent shapes.

Alan Hazelden

Jan 13, 2018, 6:26:59 PM1/13/18
to Marcos D, PuzzleScript
Neat mechanic!

I feel like there's more levels here than I want to play - consider cutting it down to just the most interesting ones? I went to check to see if I was almost done and found I was only about halfway.

Marcos

Jan 13, 2018, 6:35:46 PM1/13/18
to Alan Hazelden, PuzzleScript
> Neat mechanic!

Thanks!

> I feel like there's more levels here than I want to play - consider cutting
> it down to just the most interesting ones? I went to check to see if I was
> almost done and found I was only about halfway.

Of course! The current levels are somewhat experimental.

I'm adding the capability of having two different pieces, and that
definitely is going to complicate level design...

A nice feature would be to choose "level packs"; is there any way of
doing that with the current system?

Hand-E-Food

Jan 13, 2018, 6:53:28 PM1/13/18
to PuzzleScript
I love it!  Keep at it!

Stephen Lavelle

Jan 13, 2018, 6:58:20 PM1/13/18
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
"A nice feature would be to choose "level packs"; is there any way of
doing that with the current system?"
only practical way to do that is with multi-screen levels (see flickscreen or zoomscreen here - https://www.puzzlescript.net/Documentation/prelude.html )

I love it!  Keep at it!

Marcos

Jan 14, 2018, 2:33:11 PM1/14/18
to Stephen Lavelle, Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
Thanks for the info!

I added puzzles with two pieces; they add difficulty and variety of strategies.
I tried making the pieces push each other, but the solutions were
somewhat anti-intuitive. Perhaps I add that behavior for different
piece types.

I also removed several repetitive puzzles and put the game here:
https://marcosd.itch.io/sokominoes