[GAME] Princess of Isometria

Jere Majava

Sep 16, 2014, 6:01:08 AM9/16/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
My letest game received some love on Twitter so I though posting it here as well.

Collecting gems is just a temporary puzzle to test the mechanics. I tend to be better at starting things than finishing them, but I think I should really continue working with this.

Stephen Lavelle

Sep 16, 2014, 7:42:21 AM9/16/14
to Jere Majava, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Where are you thinking of going with it?

Jere Majava

Sep 16, 2014, 4:26:27 PM9/16/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, jere....@gmail.com
Oh, I'll probably keep stealing from Prince of Persia: Story of a rescue (with switched gender roles of course) and mechanics like spikes, traps and doors. Some baddies that you need to avoid or deal with indirectly. I never really finished my ninja themed platformer so I'll probably reuse the stealth elements from there. Might even implement a timer for some levels.

And of course, since this is a PuzzleScript game, there are going to be crates.

Mix all together, shake well, make levels.

Connorses _

Sep 16, 2014, 6:37:31 PM9/16/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Well done good sir! This obviously took some more clever use of the game engine, with all the animations. I beat this level and I'd love to see more. The jumps were much easier than those in Prince of Persia. It's surprisingly intuitive; I felt like it was easy to tell whether to use the high jump or the long jump, but I still had to think it through before making a move.

I'm curious how you feel about realtime_interval, it seems like this game would work best if it were turn-based.

James T. Perconti

Sep 16, 2014, 11:16:22 PM9/16/14
to Connorses _, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Connorses _ <onr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm curious how you feel about realtime_interval, it seems like this game would work best if it were turn-based.

Is realtime_interval being used somewhere in this game? It seems fully turn-based to me but there doesn't seem to be a source link.
 --Jamie

Jere Majava

Sep 17, 2014, 2:29:36 AM9/17/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Good point about the realtime! It never crossed my mind that this could be turn based, probably because I'm so used to making realtime games. I do intend to add moving creatures later, so I wont change that though. The one problem with the method I'm currently using to properly sync the player movement with other moving objects (more important in Gamlet than on this game) with realtime is that the player does not move on the turn it gets the instruction to move but on the next. (Actually the character controlled is not the Player object at all.) The delay wont matter much if the realtime_interval is short enough (less than 0.1), but I would like to make the controls a little more snappy.

At some point I did make it so that the player had to press action to grab the ledge, just like in PoP. I think I'll experiment with that further. It would also be fun if the princess would have to be able to run a few blocks to make a long jump.

I'll be rather busy for a week or two from now with our family moving to a new apartment and stuff, but I will get back to working on the game after that.

Here' the link to the source of the current version: http://www.puzzlescript.net/editor.html?hack=b70777227e6fb5d7ad05

burningthe...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2014, 8:12:50 AM9/17/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
wow - how'd you zip pop!

Jere Majava

Nov 14, 2014, 7:43:53 AM11/14/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, burningthe...@gmail.com
I now have the new mechanics in place, I just need to make levels. A lot of levels...

Jere Majava

Nov 18, 2014, 9:44:49 AM11/18/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, burningthe...@gmail.com
Published the updated version. Only 4 levels at the moment.

James T. Perconti

Nov 18, 2014, 11:36:37 AM11/18/14
to Jere Majava, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
This is really good, but rather unforgiving. It would be even better with undo or with some checkpoints in the middle of levels.
  --Jamie

Connorses _

Nov 19, 2014, 1:47:20 AM11/19/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
I'll say it again, it's incredible how it feels just like Prince of Persia with the precise jumps and how you die if you use the wrong kind of jump or if you're just a little bit off with the distance... The only odd thing was sometimes it's hard to gauge the precise distance she's going to jump. It's like 1.5 squares or something.

If you do release a complete level set I recommend adding at least one easier level with spikes to demonstrate how she can walk past them, even though she dies if she falls on them. That's not going to be clear to people who haven't played PoP.

Jere Majava

Nov 26, 2014, 12:27:38 PM11/26/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Added introductory levels for rocks and spikes.

Stephen Lavelle

Nov 26, 2014, 12:34:17 PM11/26/14
to Jere Majava, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
were people having trouble with them?

Stephen Lavelle

Nov 26, 2014, 12:36:21 PM11/26/14
to Jere Majava, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
nvm first rock level isn't too straightforward  : )

Jere Majava

Nov 26, 2014, 12:50:52 PM11/26/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
The rock level didn't turn out to be that easy after all. I notice I may have a tendency to overdesigning them.

Jere Majava

Nov 26, 2014, 12:53:03 PM11/26/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
I just tought it would be more elegant to introduce only one new element or mechanism per level.

Connorses _

Nov 27, 2014, 10:10:24 AM11/27/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Eh, it's good if you can introduce things without getting too complex.

Jere Majava

Dec 17, 2014, 4:50:04 AM12/17/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Version 0.9 (http://iotxt.net/isometria/)

- The player's half square position is now just a frame between poperly centered positions.
- The depth of isometric effect is halfed. These two should make estimating the distance of jumps easier.
- Made a few more levels, modified some of the old ones.
- Tweaked the graphics a bit

Vincent Povirk

Dec 17, 2014, 8:10:12 PM12/17/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
- The player's half square position is now just a frame between poperly centered positions.
- The depth of isometric effect is halfed. These two should make estimating the distance of jumps easier.

I think the walk animation made it feel less responsive to me (but it's hard to tell without the previous version for comparison). I must have been mashing the arrows to move quickly.

No idea what effect the changed graphics had.

Connorses _

Dec 17, 2014, 10:47:33 PM12/17/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Wow, having played this game previously, I think the new version feels really good. Distances are a more clear, which is good when you have to jump 2 or 3 squares at a time.
Message has been deleted

saza...@googlemail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 11:31:22 AM8/17/16
to PuzzleScript
So am i a complete idiot or is http://iotxt.net/isometria/ just a screen saying Insert Cartirdge with no available options? I can't see how to get into the game.

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 17, 2016, 12:39:27 PM8/17/16
to saza...@googlemail.com, PuzzleScript
looks that way to me also!

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 4:31 PM, sazazezer via PuzzleScript <puzzle...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
So am i a complete idiot or is http://iotxt.net/isometria/ just a screen saying Insert Cartirdge with no available options? I can't see how to get into the game.

ncr...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 12:59:50 PM8/17/16
to PuzzleScript, saza...@googlemail.com
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 11:31:22 AM UTC-4, saza...@googlemail.com wrote:
> So am i a complete idiot or is http://iotxt.net/isometria/ just a screen saying Insert Cartirdge with no available options? I can't see how to get into the game.

Thankfully, the HTML code contains the game ID, so it can be played here: http://www.puzzlescript.net/editor.html?hack=a1919adea453dc890625

The reason it isn't loading is that there are a few too many dots in some of the graphics...

Jere Majava

Aug 27, 2016, 8:20:26 AM8/27/16
to PuzzleScript, saza...@googlemail.com, ncr...@gmail.com
Oops, thanks for the heads up. Fixed it. Not sure what happened but I noticed that Gamlet (http://iotxt.net/gamlet/) had also stopped working, that's now fixed as well.

Btw Gamlet got a technical update and now has proper realtime implemented: monster now move only and only on player ticks, which improved playability a lot.

I've been dabbling with PuzzleScript again lately, so will probably release something new or updated versions of the old ones soon(ish).

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 27, 2016, 8:46:58 AM8/27/16
to Jere Majava, PuzzleScript, saza...@googlemail.com, Nate Charles
sorry about that, jere! I try to be backwards-compatible!