[GAME] Something Penguin Something

0x77

Sep 29, 2017, 4:06:28 PM9/29/17
to PuzzleScript

Something Penguin Something

What's this?
Something Penguin Something is a block puzzle game based on some
challenges from the Nintendo Switch game Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.
You're a penguin. You don't know your name, who you are, or where you are.
You do know that you want to reach the next iceberg, though.

Where can I play it?
You can CLICK HERE TO PLAY the latest version.
The currently available puzzles were extracted from the Nintendo Switch
title to test the mechanics. I will be adding new original levels and
mechanics.

How can I contribute?
Feel free to let me know what you think of it, even if it's not good!

James ah ha

Sep 29, 2017, 6:52:37 PM9/29/17
to PuzzleScript
Fun little games (once I worked out what the bits were/did) - nice look of double block player
First level was as hard as others - may be have a more basic (easy) first level to get idea & mechanism clear.
Block could be made a bit more 3rd ? - I've tried to do 3D blocks but can not get satisfactory look to them.

May be you could have fish swimming about (L<>R, U<>D) that would interrupt blocks gliding across water (or popping up thro ice holes) ?

Stephen Lavelle

Sep 29, 2017, 7:59:35 PM9/29/17
to James ah ha, PuzzleScript
yay - very slick :)

the levels were not bad at all - will you make more?

0x77

Sep 30, 2017, 5:07:55 AM9/30/17
to PuzzleScript
Thanks! I think the first level can be a bit hard, but it teaches the mechanics pretty well, doesn't it? :p
The fish idea could be really fun! Just gotta make sure I can get the timing obvious so that players won't have to keep throwing the crates.

0x77

Sep 30, 2017, 5:08:43 AM9/30/17
to PuzzleScript
Thank you! Yep yep, I'm adding new levels and mechanics.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:52 PM, James ah ha <cyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Fun little games (once I worked out what the bits were/did) - nice look of double block player
First level was as hard as others - may be have a more basic (easy) first level to get idea & mechanism clear.
Block could be made a bit more 3rd ? - I've tried to do 3D blocks but can not get satisfactory look to them.

May be you could have fish swimming about (L<>R, U<>D) that would interrupt blocks gliding across water (or popping up thro ice holes) ?

Message has been deleted

0x77

Sep 30, 2017, 11:26:53 AM9/30/17
to PuzzleScript
 New levels are up!

Skalmantas Šimėnas

Sep 30, 2017, 3:04:07 PM9/30/17
to PuzzleScript
A few small things: why does the penguin not move when pushing a box but, rather, stop in place to make the box propel outwards? Not only is moving together with the box a feature in most sokoban games but it also makes more sense because you can't really push something without touching it the whole time.
Another weird thing is how the box always stops on ice, without moving onto the next tile. It would be convenient if it would move onto that tile immediately because you always push it further anyways. Yet, it actually has potential to be a cool mechanic with the way it is right now, try to make a level that needs you to use this mechanic! If you can't make anything good, I'd make it more convenient by making the box move itself.

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 6:26:53 PM UTC+3, 0x77 wrote:
 New levels are up!
Message has been deleted

Skalmantas Šimėnas

Sep 30, 2017, 7:13:57 PM9/30/17
to PuzzleScript
But it also stops when not hitting a wall, that's what I wanted to say!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

0x77

Oct 2, 2017, 12:38:07 AM10/2/17
to PuzzleScript
I think skal is talking about how the box stops before buttons. In that case, that's mainly because the buttons aren't slippery and I'm working on some levels where you have to use that mechanic to complete them. Btw, I didn't make the penguin move with the boxes because then it wouldn't make sense that only the box would slide on ice.

Alan Hazelden

Oct 2, 2017, 8:42:54 AM10/2/17
to 0x77, PuzzleScript
2 is a bit straightforward - it's not really challenging you just have to go through a lot of steps.
5 is fine at teaching the mechanic, but doesn't feel like it matches the teaching style of level 1.
There's a solution to 6 that doesn't involve moving the bottom-left block at all.

I agree with the earlier comments about movement - if a block is sliding on ice, it feels like it should continue onto the next non-ice tile. And if I'm pushing a block on non-icey ground, it feels like the penguin should move onto that tile (but the current behaviour makes sense when you're pushing a block on ice).

On 2 October 2017 at 05:38, 0x77 <willia...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think skal is talking about how the box stops before buttons. In that case, that's mainly because the buttons aren't slippery and I'm working on some levels where you have to use that mechanic to complete them. Btw, I didn't make the penguin move with the boxes because then it wouldn't make sense that only the box would slide on ice.

0x77

Oct 2, 2017, 1:13:58 PM10/2/17
to PuzzleScript
Minor update 0.1.3a is up:
  • Improved movement and mechanics (thanks Skalmantas and Alan!):
    • Sliding crates no longer stop right before non-slippery tiles (buttons and crates in holes).
    • Pushing a crate on non-slippery tiles will make the player move along with it.
  • The timer background turns red once you reach the exit.
  • Fixed a few graphics glitches.

Hand-E-Food

Oct 2, 2017, 6:47:12 PM10/2/17
to PuzzleScript
Very nice!  I liked those puzzles.  They were enough to make you think without being pure guesswork.

My only gripe is some of the 3D effects made it difficult to tell what a box was aligned with.  I wasn't sure if the boxes were in the same row as rocks or not.

But otherwise, the 3D looks really nice.

Virelsa

Oct 4, 2017, 1:56:05 PM10/4/17
to PuzzleScript
Very good indeed! The sprite art is really beautiful and that penguin is ridiculously cute. I enjoyed the puzzles too and look forward to your original contributions.

Is there any consequence to the timer?

0x77

Oct 9, 2017, 5:40:54 PM10/9/17
to PuzzleScript
Sorry, it's been a busy week. Thanks guys! I've been working on polishing it, to upload the game to the Play Store and App Store, so lots of new levels are coming.

Hand-E-Food: I agree that the perspective is confusing on some situations, but I couldn't find any fix. :/

Virelsa: The timer is currently there just so you can time yourself, but it'll upload your score to a leaderboard soon.

Skalmantas Šimėnas

Oct 13, 2017, 3:03:50 AM10/13/17
to PuzzleScript
Interesting, are you remaking the game somewhere else or is it possible to export puzzlescript games such that it works as a stand-alone application on a phone?