[GAME] Pivotal

thordur

Aug 18, 2017, 4:22:56 PM8/18/17
to PuzzleScript
This took some time for me to understand, but it was an good design experience!
I couldn't really figure out how to represent rotation more intuitively, so sorry if you have trouble understanding what is going on!

Any feedback you have would be appreciated :)

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 18, 2017, 4:48:08 PM8/18/17
to thordur, PuzzleScript
i think you should set norepeat_action set

Once i realized what it was (level 2 maybe?) i found it really intuitive.

stopping at the level with the l piece, but enjoying it quite a bit so far :) good work, thordur!

Message has been deleted

thordur

Aug 18, 2017, 5:20:12 PM8/18/17
to PuzzleScript, thordu...@gmail.com
Thanks! I added the norepeat_action. Also if people don't like the frame around the game they can play it here: https://thorduragust.github.io/pivotal/pivotal.html

edderiofer

Aug 20, 2017, 11:54:52 AM8/20/17
to PuzzleScript
Took a while to complete this. The last three levels were brilliant!

Recher Réchèr

Aug 20, 2017, 8:44:04 PM8/20/17
to PuzzleScript
Interesting idea.

It reminded me of Bloxorz. Another rotating game, but in 3D.

http://bloxorzonline.com

Christopher Wells

Aug 21, 2017, 7:45:13 AM8/21/17
to PuzzleScript
Excellent game. The music and pictures are lovely without being distracting. The animation to show why a particular move is impossible is a very good idea, it really helps to clarify the game rules.
Great puzzles. The rules have a lot of depth to them - some interesting parity properties that make the levels very satisfying to figure out.
There might be room to make more levels in here. I feel like you introduced new elements a bit quickly, without fully exhausting the possibilities of the old ones. But I haven't got past Level 9 so maybe there's more in the later levels.

All in all, an excellent game!

thordur

Aug 21, 2017, 2:12:34 PM8/21/17
to PuzzleScript
Thank you very much! There is definitely room for more levels. I was afraid I might delude things by making too many levels, so I tried to make each level as complete I could.
But I am pretty sure I will make a extended version some day that explores stuff in more detail.
I promise you there is more cool stuff after level 9!

thordur

Aug 21, 2017, 2:18:21 PM8/21/17
to PuzzleScript
Wow I remember playing this game. Maybe it was a subconscious influence? Thank you for checking my game out :)

thordur

Aug 21, 2017, 4:44:09 PM8/21/17
to PuzzleScript
Yay!

Skalmantas Šimėnas

Aug 23, 2017, 11:06:43 AM8/23/17
to PuzzleScript
Lovely!

I would strongly object to trying to cramp in more levels for the sake of having more content. A few levels already seemed a bit like they were a challenge but not that interesting because you already know its essential tricks. I will agree, though, that there probably exists more potential in this.
This is going to be hard to follow because you didn't name the levels and if you implement my suggestion this won't make sense at all after that but what I would do is this:
Scrap level 1 completely and start at level 3. Level 3 is very self-explanatory, you clearly cannot just walk out of the red straight piece and you obviously have to cross the gap to get to the exit. Then, after that, have the level 2 but make it shorter. Level 2 shows an essential point in the game that would be frustrating in level 4 but level 2  in itself is boring.
I loved the 4th level from the end (with 2 little boats and a ship) but the last 3 levels seem a lot more convoluted than anything else and I didn't enjoy them, although, I still haven't finished the very last one and level 12.

I hacked the game to skip a level or two and to look at the code and, holy crap, it's a revelation to me, kind of blew my mind. I would've spent the time to make a system that would consistently rotate any piece but what you did was just copy-paste the rules up to where you have 5 tiles outwards, which, by the nature of the game's simplicity, always be enough. It's a new way to look at things for me, for sure.
I pronounce you the Master of Hardcode.

Ali Nikkhah

Aug 24, 2017, 7:36:29 AM8/24/17
to PuzzleScript
Amazing game! I didn't expect it to be this great when I started playing, which is always a good thing. And I liked the relaxing music.

thordur

Aug 30, 2017, 8:38:51 PM8/30/17
to PuzzleScript
Thanks for the feedback man! I thought of removing level 1 before I posted the game, but there was a cool aspect to level 1 that I didn't want to cut out, but thinking about it now I don't know if I feel that aspect justifies the levels existence.
However, it probably only takes an average player about 8 seconds or less to beat that level, which is not really that long of a time. If I change things I will probably cut it though. Although level 2 is a little bit big, it serves as a way for you to get familiar with
stuff like the translation through rotation, the fact that you cannot rotate on black squares and "clipping" through walls(because if this was a continuous rotation you would obviously bump into the wall). Most of this can be understood from level 3 though,
but I feel like focusing on showing you those things is the right thing to do, because the focus in level 3 is on different things.
I can understand your feelings regarding the last 3 levels, and they are indeed convoluted. I probably should have made more pure versions of them, but I also wanted to finish the game. If you think about level 18, it is obvious that I should have added another
kind of block, but I didn't want to add it... This will be in a possible future expansion though!

I happily accept that title :)

thordur

Aug 30, 2017, 8:39:25 PM8/30/17
to PuzzleScript
Thank you!

thordur

Aug 30, 2017, 8:44:54 PM8/30/17
to PuzzleScript
I should add that I probably would not have made the level selection code if Alan Hazelden hadn't made it for his game, so props to him!
(Also I realize now that the presentation my website is very similar to the presentation on his website, this was not my intention!)

Also the music is made by my friend Moonquake

beijin...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 9:57:36 PM9/1/17
to PuzzleScript
Currently stuck on level 17 but so far I've really enjoyed the levels! I really liked level 12 and 14 since there was a "trick" but the trick was a fairly short sequence and the key to the level was applying the trick continuously.

One thing that I think could be improved is removing the levels which are duplicates of the level right before it but with a small difference. They didn't seem particularly clever and made it feel a bit repetitive.

Anyways, this is a nice mechanic! I was actually playing around with rotation in my puzzle game once I realized you can combine rotations to translate objects in interesting ways but ended up removing it since it didn't quite fit into my game.

Virelsa

Sep 26, 2017, 9:25:52 AM9/26/17
to PuzzleScript
I really like the concept of this and the way it shows an error where the block would rotate to if there weren't things in the way is a nice touch. I'm pretty bad at it though. Currently stuck on level 6. I don't think I'm great at spatial reasoning type puzzles. Currently enjoying my stuckedness, though!