[GAME] Al's Egg Roll

Ali Nikkhah

Aug 30, 2017, 5:52:54 AM8/30/17
to PuzzleScript
This is a game I started last year as a parody of Stephen's Sausage Roll, but never finished it. I got back to it about a week ago and tried designing some more levels and adding more mechanics, but still wasn't entirely successful at it. Anyway, there is no harm in sharing it, so here you go: http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=495a8bb32dce9a6998909def80290412

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 30, 2017, 6:22:56 AM8/30/17
to Ali Nikkhah, PuzzleScript
have you tried running this? it doesn't compile for me

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Ali Nikkhah <nikk...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is a game I started last year as a parody of Stephen's Sausage Roll, but never finished it. I got back to it about a week ago and tried designing some more levels and adding more mechanics, but still wasn't entirely successful at it. Anyway, there is no harm in sharing it, so here you go: http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=495a8bb32dce9a6998909def80290412

Message has been deleted

Alan Hazelden

Aug 30, 2017, 6:42:32 AM8/30/17
to Stephen Lavelle, Ali Nikkhah, PuzzleScript
Yeah you need "message" before "Thank you for playing".

I'm finding the protective shells A) visually unclear - they're subtle and imply multiple vulnerable sides but I'm coming to realise that's not the case and B) initially unclear if they're the side I need to crack from or the side I need to crack against.

Completed levels 1-10. I think level 8 is my favourite.

This is neat!

Ali Nikkhah

Aug 30, 2017, 6:49:12 AM8/30/17
to PuzzleScript, anal...@gmail.com, nikk...@gmail.com
Right, thanks, it works now.
No, the direction of the eggs doesn't matter, only the orientation. I thought the force is being applied on both sides no matter in what direction you push so it didn't make sense to differentiate there. I later do make use of the exact direction of the eggs, though.
Glad you liked it!

On 30 August 2017 at 11:22, Stephen Lavelle <anal...@gmail.com> wrote:
have you tried running this? it doesn't compile for me
On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Ali Nikkhah <nikk...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is a game I started last year as a parody of Stephen's Sausage Roll, but never finished it. I got back to it about a week ago and tried designing some more levels and adding more mechanics, but still wasn't entirely successful at it. Anyway, there is no harm in sharing it, so here you go: http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=495a8bb32dce9a6998909def80290412

thordur

Aug 30, 2017, 8:51:30 PM8/30/17
to PuzzleScript
I played the first 10 levels, baring the confusion from trying to understand exactly how the egg orientation works and how it is displayed, I have been enjoying it so far!

edderiofer

Aug 31, 2017, 11:39:55 AM8/31/17
to PuzzleScript
Are you sure level 18 is possible? It seems to me like a joke level...

EDIT: Just tried level 19 first. You should probably swap these two levels.

GAH level 22 onwards is starting to get ridiculous. Especially since it's difficult to see which way the eggs are pointing, and also it's not easy to determine how they'll end up pointing after you move.

Ali Nikkhah

Aug 31, 2017, 3:53:12 PM8/31/17
to PuzzleScript
I felt like being bold and failing to keep players was a better choice than a proper tutorial for that, there is only so many things you can do on that level. But you're probably right, maybe I'll change that.
I don't know what I can do to make the eggs' directions more easily discernible, though I just added shades and I hope it made it better.
Don't worry, those last levels are about more general ideas rather than little details. It takes nothing more than a bit of trial and error to get the details right.

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 31, 2017, 5:36:49 PM8/31/17
to edderiofer, PuzzleScript
The egg direction stuff was totally unobvious to me - I bounced off a few levels in because everything felt inconsistent (because I didn't realize this).

Skalmantas Šimėnas

Sep 5, 2017, 12:01:50 PM9/5/17
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
I was very well aware of the eggs' directions and had no problems with that but I don't get why you'd shade them like that, I'd just make them full white or something.
I am pretty sure I am not supposed to win levels after ruining an egg but I did, somehow.

Connorses

Sep 5, 2017, 4:25:48 PM9/5/17
to PuzzleScript
I like how you can break an egg from any direction only if it's already cracked. The directional stuff was a satisfying and interesting discovery. The first level that forces it is Level 4 I think? I didn't get past level 5, this game is very challenging, but it's a good puzzle!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Connorses

Sep 5, 2017, 4:43:21 PM9/5/17
to PuzzleScript

So, I got farther into the game today. You can in fact win a level where an egg was ruined. I'm not sure why, it's a weird bug.

These .gifs are both wins, probably has to do with the Raw object being destroyed.

Jamie Perconti

Sep 6, 2017, 12:02:45 AM9/6/17
to Connorses, PuzzleScript
I'm enjoying this game a lot, but I'm extremely stuck on level 18. Am I supposed to be discovering a new mechanic here? Because I found something I didn't expect, but I don't know how it helps.

Jamie

,

Ali Nikkhah

Sep 6, 2017, 8:12:55 AM9/6/17
to PuzzleScript, onr...@gmail.com, jamiep...@gmail.com
Thank both of you for pointing that out. It had to do with the marker for stepping back being on the same layer as the ruined egg sprite.

You were supposed to discover a new mechanic and sorry if it seemed ridiculous, it was an experimental thing and I changed it now.

Connorses

Sep 25, 2017, 9:09:56 PM9/25/17
to PuzzleScript
Did you upload the fix? I'm still able to win a level where I "ruined" one of the cooked eggs by pushing a rock onto it.

Ali Nikkhah

Sep 26, 2017, 3:27:04 AM9/26/17
to PuzzleScript
I thought I did, but apparently not. Sorry for that and thanks for caring and pointing it out again, I tested it this time and it's fixed.

Virelsa

Oct 5, 2017, 5:57:37 PM10/5/17
to PuzzleScript
I'm really enjoying this now! It took a while to get into because the whole egg-orientation thing was a bit confusing at first. It was some time before I noticed one side has a single pixel rather than two or three. You could maybe have made them a bit more triangular. They'd look less like eggs, perhaps, but it'd be a bit more obvious which way round they are.

Some nice puzzles though! As has been mentioned, the fact that pressure in any direction will break a cracked egg is a cunning ruse. It seemed a little odd to me that stones can push eggs but eggs can't push stones, even when they're head-on and don't break. I'm not suggesting you change it because it'd break a lot of the puzzles but it was surprising from a continuity point of view.

Thirteen levels in so far. Seemed very difficult at first but I think I've about got the hang of it now so I hope I can solve the rest.

Good work!

Ali Nikkhah

Oct 7, 2017, 5:01:04 AM10/7/17
to PuzzleScript
Ah, glad to hear that! The eggs are already a bit more triangular than real world eggs and I feel like the shades should have helped with that. The fact that eggs won't push stones plays an important role after a twist later in the game, it was something I liked to try in a game and this turned out to be the one.