(WIP) Escaping Limbo - A simplistic puzzle game.

Blake Regehr

Nov 3, 2016, 2:11:37 PM11/3/16
to PuzzleScript
I've been working on a puzzle game with a steady learning curve like Klocki. It's turning out quite well. I would love some feedback and feature requests. Puzzle builders are also welcome!
Here's the game: Escaping Limbo
I'm not the best at making puzzles.

Blake Regehr

Nov 3, 2016, 2:19:26 PM11/3/16
to PuzzleScript
Oops. Something's wrong with the last level. Anybody know what's wrong?

Stephen Lavelle

Nov 3, 2016, 7:49:15 PM11/3/16
to Blake Regehr, PuzzleScript
ah,

late [stone orangebutton] [orangedoor] -> [stone orangebutton] [orangex]
late [no stone orangebutton] [orangex] -> [no stone orangebutton] [orangedoor]

in this level there are two orangebuttons - the second rule gets triggered even if one of the buttons is pressed wiping out the effects of the first.  You can add an additional placeholder object to record whether or not the first rule is applied - something like this:

late [stone pinkbutton] [pinkdoor] [player ]-> [stone pinkbutton] [pinkx] [player temp]
late [no stone pinkbutton] [pinkx] [player no temp]-> [no stone pinkbutton] [pinkdoor][player]
late [temp]->[]

Hand-E-Food

Nov 4, 2016, 12:17:32 AM11/4/16
to PuzzleScript
What you have here is a perfect start for a puzzle. The level design definitely needs work.

Levels should be puzzles. If the solution is obvious from looking at the initial state, there is no puzzle. It's just going through the motions.

The exception to this is introducing a new mechanic, but only introduce it once.

Make levels unique. The first three levels in your first draft are the same level, with some extra corners. There's no extra challenge.

Having a handful of thought provoking levels is better than 50 similar levels.

Keep at it! You'll make something of this yet. :-)

edderiofer

Nov 4, 2016, 3:11:03 PM11/4/16
to PuzzleScript
In addition to what Hand-E-Food has already written, I should add that:

1. It wasn't at all obvious that you could push multiple blocks in level 5 (most Sokoban games only allow you to push one block at a time), and you don't reuse that mechanic, ever.

2. The player and endpoint are almost the exact same colour and are both exactly the same shape. This has the potential to lead to confusion. Likewise with boxes and switches to a lesser degree. I suggest that you can keep the shape of the players and boxes, but make the switches and goals have a different sprite (e.g. a 5x5 "square ring" with a dot in the centre).

3. You may wish to get yourself a permanent URL. Makes it easier to update the game without having to constantly generate new URLs.

4. Stephen's code isn't working properly. Try to troubleshoot it yourself, but if you really can't, don't forget that the community's here for you.