[Game] Alien Disco

Christopher Wells

Jun 12, 2018, 7:08:42 PM6/12/18
to PuzzleScript
https://tophwells.itch.io/alien-disco

Arrow keys to move. All your characters move at the same time; they can only move if none of them are blocked. Use warped space to reposition them. Get all of them on the Xes to finish a level.

That's it. Have fun!

Alan Hazelden

Jun 12, 2018, 7:26:53 PM6/12/18
to Christopher Wells, PuzzleScript
I got up to the level after this. Up until then it was fun enough, but this one stopped feeling reasonable and so does the one after it.

Seems well executed but maybe could do with a little more iteration on the harder puzzles.

Stephen Lavelle

Jun 12, 2018, 8:01:18 PM6/12/18
to Alan Hazelden, Christopher Wells, PuzzleScript
Hello!

Gave up at the same point, have similar feelings.  It looks nice at first, but there's something fundamentally mentally unergonomic about this kind of mechanic.  I wonder what you could do to make it easier to understand...maybe if it was more like assembling a 3x3 jigsaw or something rather than putting things in particular places?  Or a small game in a continuous world where you start off with one person and gradually rescue a few more (cutting  out at four say, or changing the level style drastically after that). Anyway I'd suggest trying to play around with a few other win conditions.

Stephen Lavelle

Jun 12, 2018, 8:03:02 PM6/12/18
to Alan Hazelden, Christopher Wells, PuzzleScript
(I would say, for levels in this game with bigger numbers of player entities, you'd maybe be best with some kind of fundamentally different approach to level design, more qualitative as with smaller levels - not relying on details of positioning if you can avoid it but more on groupings)

Christopher Wells

Jun 12, 2018, 8:30:10 PM6/12/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks for the feedback!

Design-wise, I like the levels where literally all the walls are teleporters. I probably should have paid more attention to the fact that they aren't any fun to play.

I'll try making some less open-ended levels. The later levels in this version often have straightforward-but-boring solutions where you painstakingly repeating the same sequence of moves (gradually moving one entity while keeping the rest fixed). Particularly, the level you highlighted is definitely too early, if it should even be in the game at all.

Pedro PSI

Jun 13, 2018, 6:44:11 AM6/13/18
to PuzzleScript
Very nice implementation of a simple idea and very challenging overall.

I'm still trying to solve the final boss level. Thanks for sharing this game!

--
Pedro PSI
pedropsi.github.io/games#puzzlescript

Connorses

Jun 13, 2018, 10:34:50 PM6/13/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks for sharing, I like this game! I personally enjoy puzzles where you control a few guys at once. I was working on a game much like this, but the portal mechanic is a neat twist.

That Scar

Jun 15, 2018, 10:53:42 AM6/15/18
to PuzzleScript
Got stuck on this level. I liked everything that came before it and, actually, I've found the levels with teleporters on every surface more enjoyable because they encourage thinking about phase, cycles and displacement instead of avoiding obstacles. The level that came after Alan's screenshot was quite boring, for example.

Everything else is good, as others have said, the introduction is especially great.

The level I am stuck on is just really hard to think about and I am done with puzzles for today, will try to continue later :)

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Christopher Wells

Jun 15, 2018, 1:24:32 PM6/15/18
to PuzzleScript
That's the final level, it's definitely harder than the rest of the game.

Christopher Wells

Jun 15, 2018, 1:29:23 PM6/15/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks Connor! Glad you enjoyed it.

Hand-E-Food

Jun 18, 2018, 6:13:41 AM6/18/18
to PuzzleScript
That was interesting.

There were many levels I enjoyed.  However, there were a lot of levels that were unsolvable.  It's not to say they couldn't be passed, but rather there was no method you could follow to solve them.  It was just trial and error.

The visual style was really nice.  I love the purple flash when they warp.