[GAME] Stage Floor Assembler

Jonathan Fuchs

Jan 16, 2017, 8:45:16 PM1/16/17
to PuzzleScript
LINK: http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=f0d12052f720212f38dc4081ed00567e

So yeah, this is the first PuzzleScript game I've made! It's a Sokoban-style puzzler with 10 levels (plus 5 bonus levels that didn't make the cut to the main game). It's a bit difficult for me to briefly describe its mechanics, so go play it if you want to know what it's about.

I made this game for a class I have in school. I don't think anyone there was super interested in puzzle games, so I'm sharing it here :P. This is the version that was submitted to the class. I wanted to get additional feedback from some friends (some of whom have also posted games here), but there was never really any definitive conclusion. I'm happy to improve this game further, but for now I'm just posting it here as it is.

Overall, I'm fairly proud of how it turned out. My main problems with the game are that the difficulty curve might be a bit steep, and that the level design might be a bit sloppy. (It's also not super polished, but I guess there's only so much you can do to pretty up a PuzzleScript game.) Nonetheless, I tried my hardest to make levels that were both challenging and fun, and hopefully a few people will get some enjoyment out of it. Good luck! :)

Hand-E-Food

Jan 16, 2017, 9:10:53 PM1/16/17
to PuzzleScript
Wow!  I like it!  I love how you can walk through the pieces.  And it's quite difficult, but that's not a bad thing.  I can only do levels 1, 2 and 5!

Jared Piers

Jan 16, 2017, 10:31:38 PM1/16/17
to PuzzleScript
I don't tend to like sokoban games a ton (maybe because Im not very good at them) but this was a pretty cool idea.  I only got to level 5 and had to skip level 3, but the puzzles seemed pretty well thought out.

One bit of criticism, I think the animations on every tile are a bit distracting.  Makes it look a bit busy.

Stephen Lavelle

Jan 17, 2017, 7:32:06 AM1/17/17
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript
aaah stuck on level 3. animations i find a bit distracting, but good work :)

Alan Hazelden

Jan 17, 2017, 9:21:49 AM1/17/17
to Stephen Lavelle, Jared Piers, PuzzleScript
Yeah level 3 is really hard! I think I can see how I must need to start, but not where to go from there.

Neat idea though.

I agree about the animations being unnecessary.

That Scar

Jan 17, 2017, 1:44:20 PM1/17/17
to PuzzleScript
First of all, like with every game and especially if you're asking for feedback, I'd suggest making an updatable link.

I love the mechanics, it really clicks with me!
I don't know why others are stuck on level 3 so much, level 5 seemed a lot harder to me, for that matter.
Level 1 is almost worse than 11, why not just start with 2?
I really liked 12, it would fit well before level 8, which I am stuck at right now.
I like how level 10 solves a bit like a rubik's cube but I hate rubik's cubes, so yeah...
Level 14 was actually alright, it just could be a little bit shorter somehow.
Other levels are pretty much fine as they are, I loved most of them and haven't completed 8, 9, 10, 13 and 15 yet.

I really hate the code, though. Mind if I rework most of it when I have nothing to do so it's simpler?
A hot-tip for level editing: I would delete characters for background1, background2 and all the "and background" in legend so there is only 1 character for a specific tile. The editor will allow you to save levels even if you don't have characters for background1 and background2, simply omitting both out of the saved level and you can use the code below to generate a new fancy background when loading a level:

[No Background1 No Background2] -> [NeedsSetup]
Right [NeedsSetup No EvenCol | No EvenCol] -> [NeedsSetup | EvenCol]
Down [NeedsSetup No EvenRow | No EvenRow] -> [NeedsSetup | EvenRow]
[NeedsSetup No EvenCol No EvenRow] -> [Background1]
[NeedsSetup No EvenCol EvenRow] -> [Background2]
[NeedsSetup EvenCol No EvenRow] -> [Background2]
[NeedsSetup EvenCol EvenRow] -> [Background1]

That Scar

Jan 19, 2017, 1:48:55 PM1/19/17
to PuzzleScript
I couldn't help but make a version that's easier to edit and also did some minor tweaks:
http://www.puzzlescript.net/editor.html?hack=0779f68520d54ca4ec61426f6d5283e6
I hope to make some levels myself soon. All the original content is intact, even though I have changed some characters in the levels to allow easier editing of new levels, for example, all commas are now dots.
Try it out yourself!

adam...@gmail.com

May 14, 2017, 3:35:14 PM5/14/17
to PuzzleScript
I've just discovered this and am loving it - have miraculously got to Level 7 (I think) after a whole series of "I give up, this is impossible" moments because I just couldn't leave it!.. Am seriously stumped now though.. Wishing there was a walkthru whilst kinda glad there isn't one because I wouldn't have got the sense of achievement from getting this far alone.. This is the second game I've found with no walkthru for it - are they less popular/common these days?.. And how are others doing later levels without having completed previous?

That Scar

May 14, 2017, 4:58:06 PM5/14/17
to PuzzleScript, adam...@gmail.com
I'm stuck forever in level 8, too. You can access any level by clicking "hack" at the bottom of the page and Ctrl+clicking on a level there.
I'm not even sure if anyone in the world (except for the author, of course) completed level 8 for that matter, no wonder there isn't a tutorial.

adam...@gmail.com

May 14, 2017, 5:29:32 PM5/14/17
to PuzzleScript, adam...@gmail.com

Aha, right, thanks!.. I'm not familiar with code - eventually figured out you have to click on the first line of the diagram of the level NOT the title!.. :) Yup, it's 8 I'm stuck on.. 7 was almost too easy after what came before..