Magical Shoe Adventure

obi...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2013, 10:03:51 PM10/15/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
I made a thing. It's not particularly original or pretty or complete. I just wanted to play with Puzzlescript, and solve a few problems, and make a world that feels solid.

I ended up with a few levels, and here they are.

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=7001535

Snizzbut

Oct 16, 2013, 4:44:57 AM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, obi...@gmail.com
Really fun, the graphics are nice and clear which is difficult at such a small scale, one small niggle is you dont have a key_repeat_interval set, so when pushing a block 1 space in front, its easy to accidentally push it too far, and because you have undo disabled you have to restart the whole level!

Scott Hughes

Oct 16, 2013, 5:20:47 AM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, obi...@gmail.com
This is just awesome!
  • All the small graphical touches you added make it lots of fun to play.
  • I love how inertia is required to push boulders and statues, and how momentum is transferred from object to object when they collide. Yay, elastic collisions. :)
  • I'm a little bit lost with noundo. It makes some puzzles a little more frustrating than they need to be, though I think you did a good job teaching the player about each new game mechanic in such a way that doesn't force them to restart. On the other hand, maybe it would be a bit too easy if I could just undo at will.

obi...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 11:16:47 AM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, obi...@gmail.com
Cool, thanks for the tips. I'm glad it's fun.

I turned off the undo at first because I wasn't sure how it would interact with the complicated movement, but then, silly, I never bothered to test it. It totally works.

Flickscreen, however, is a mess with the current movement algorithm. I think I could make it work, but it requires a rethink.

Anyway, here's a build of the game with undo and key_repeat_interval fixed: http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=7009206

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 16, 2013, 11:26:35 AM10/16/13
to obi...@gmail.com, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
this game is neat - good work : )

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 16, 2013, 11:27:05 AM10/16/13
to obi...@gmail.com, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
>Flickscreen, however, is a mess with the current movement algorithm. I think I could make it work, but it requires a rethink.
hmm?  you mean in terms of player freedom?

obi...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 11:30:08 AM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, obi...@gmail.com
You know, playing this again today, I'm struck by how difficult it is to design good, simple levels that teach the player without boring them. I don't think I did a terrible job here, but if I want to turn this into a complete game that tells a story through game mechanics, it will take quite a bit of thought and testing. I'm very impressed by people who do level design well. It's such a subtle art.

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 16, 2013, 11:31:08 AM10/16/13
to obi...@gmail.com, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
practice practice practice : )

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM, <obi...@gmail.com> wrote:
You know, playing this again today, I'm struck by how difficult it is to design good, simple levels that teach the player without boring them. I don't think I did a terrible job here, but if I want to turn this into a complete game that tells a story through game mechanics, it will take quite a bit of thought and testing. I'm very impressed by people who do level design well. It's such a subtle art.

obi...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 11:37:06 AM10/16/13
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:27:05 AM UTC-4, Stephen Lavelle wrote:
> >Flickscreen, however, is a mess with the current movement algorithm. I think I could make it work, but it requires a rethink.
>

> hmm?  you mean in terms of player freedom?

I mean that I'm replacing the at-rest Player object with a special temporary object whenever he's in motion. Flickscreen doesn't know the hero is transitioning between screens until the sprite hits a wall and I replace the Player object. I would need to have an invisible Player on top of the various player objects so that flickscreen flicks exactly when the hero leaves the screen, rather than waiting until he hits a wall some time later.

Snizzbut

Oct 16, 2013, 11:42:55 AM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, obi...@gmail.com
If you put Player = PlayerUp or PlayerDown or PlayerLeft or PlayerRight in the legend section, it should work... (I think)

obi...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 11:54:30 AM10/16/13
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:42:55 AM UTC-4, Snizzbut wrote:
> If you put Player = PlayerUp or PlayerDown or PlayerLeft or PlayerRight in the legend section, it should work... (I think)

That might be an efficient way to do it, but not the way the code is now. I make so many references to "Player", the compiler won't know which one I'm referring to. It just generates an encyclopedia of error messages.

Snizzbut

Oct 16, 2013, 12:05:49 PM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, obi...@gmail.com
Hmmm... i think it might be because you have an object called player? I have directional player movement with a player object for each direction, all classed as Player and i refer to it all the time with no problems!
When not moving my player simply faces the last direction moved, but yours turns to face the screen.

My (limited) understanding was it just picks whichever makes the most sense at that time

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 16, 2013, 12:18:26 PM10/16/13
to Snizzbut, puzzle...@googlegroups.com, obi...@gmail.com
For clarification, - it look for the first player object it can find (something called player, or that player is defined in terms of), and homes in on that.  If nothing can be found, it hangs where it previously was.

obi...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 12:46:36 PM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, Snizzbut, obi...@gmail.com
Yeah. I overlooked the fact that I could define Player as a class of all the player animations, and thus made my life much harder than it needed to be. Flickscreen works fine now that I made a few simple changes.

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 16, 2013, 12:51:52 PM10/16/13
to Tobin Mollett, puzzle...@googlegroups.com, Snizzbut
awesome : )

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM, <obi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah. I overlooked the fact that I could define Player as a class of all the player animations, and thus made my life much harder than it needed to be. Flickscreen works fine now that I made a few simple changes.

Connorses

May 18, 2015, 2:46:31 PM5/18/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
oh god i can't stop thinking I CAN'T WATCH TV NOW haha

Hannes Petri

May 18, 2015, 6:46:18 PM5/18/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Great execution of the skidding mechanic, with some clever novelties. The gates and the rocks work really well together.

And the ending made me feel so smart ^_^