[concept] Procedural Generation

8bitlla...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2018, 10:02:32 PM4/23/18
to PuzzleScript
Hello everyone! I've been using PuzzleScript for a while, and I thought I'd share this here. (I'm not sure if this has been done before. If this is nothing new, then forgive me)
I've made a random, procedural world generation system in a PuzzleScript level. You can check it out here:
https://8bitllama.itch.io/world-generation-in-puzzlescript

Hand-E-Food

Apr 23, 2018, 11:35:56 PM4/23/18
to PuzzleScript
That's really nice!  I can see that it's not just random, there's a logic to the biomes and altitudes.  It'd be good to see the code for this.

Does it have safeguards to prevent inaccessible areas?

Now, we need phase 2!  What game can we make that's better generated than handcrafted?  :-D

8BitLlama

Apr 24, 2018, 4:26:37 PM4/24/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks for responding, Hand-E-Food

The code is kind of convoluted, but basically it generates 'true' random points spaced 8 tiles apart in a grid, then all other tiles are a height gradient in between.
There is no coded prevention against inaccessible areas, but the player can mine through rock so it should be fine.

As for phase 2, that's what I'm still trying to figure out - probably something involving the combination of parts to make new things.

Chyme

Apr 24, 2018, 6:33:04 PM4/24/18
to PuzzleScript
This is neat! Like Hand-E said, it's cool that there seems to be logic on where tiles are placed so biomes feel more natural. Would definitely be interested in seeing a game that uses this kind of generation in a cool way. Keep it up! :D

igorsc...@gmail.com

May 10, 2018, 4:58:42 PM5/10/18
to PuzzleScript
Maybe something that uses generation as a mechanic - like game of life :-)

Jere Majava

Jun 15, 2018, 3:44:25 AM6/15/18
to PuzzleScript
This is great! I've been really interested in using PuzzelScript for procedural generation for a long time and have several (never to be finished) drafts for games.

This one seems at least on the surface quite similar to what you've done. At some points I had ideas of extending this into a mini RPG:

Another procgen example and a finished game using a simple maze creation algorithm is Prim's Labyrinth: http://iotxt.net/prim/

I've done some roguelike map generators with different algorithms too, and an archipelago generator with elevation, but can't now find where I've saved my latest PS scripts. One gif here: https://twitter.com/jjmajava/status/940531252838445056

Hand-E-Food

Jun 17, 2018, 11:41:17 PM6/17/18
to PuzzleScript
Jere, I love the look and feel on that first link you posted.  The faded map is beautiful!

Jere Majava

Aug 20, 2018, 7:36:57 AM8/20/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks! Pretty happy with it myself. If only I had the patience to turn these into games. :)

Also found the second roguelike cave thingy. This is based on a single premade floor map that is modified for every level, much like the HeroQuest board, only procedurally.