[GAME] Boats Cars & Trains

James ah ha

Dec 30, 2016, 7:51:29 AM12/30/16
to PuzzleScript
Hi All

A merry christmas and happy new year to all.  A little puzzle for you.
Based on the idea of making a maze out of two types of routes (rivers and roads) which intertwine
You ave to change mode (river<>road) at each junction.
Included some music for each level.
The puzzle has possibilities of extending (ie Trains at end).

What do people think ?   Is the concept worth extending ?

James

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 30, 2016, 1:54:10 PM12/30/16
to James ah ha, PuzzleScript
James, thanks for sharing the game!

I thought it was going to be about toggling directions of track tracks but instead the swapping tracks in a weird way that I mostly just figured out by trial and error.

It is a game though - I had fun occasionally figuring things out. I'm not sure what direction I'd take it - what are your thoughts about possible further directions?

best,

Alan Hazelden

Dec 31, 2016, 9:13:42 AM12/31/16
to Stephen Lavelle, James ah ha, PuzzleScript
I find the way that swapping is implemented is a bit confusing - it took me a while to understand that I need to visit both locations before being able to change anything.

I don't exactly have a suggestion for a different way of doing it, but "this feels like a weird implementation" is the main feeling I came away from it with, so I figure I should mention it.

Connorses

Jan 5, 2017, 7:17:51 PM1/5/17
to PuzzleScript
I enjoyed this one! I like the concept of never taking the same type of path twice in a row. The level with the train was my favorite.

I I think I had an easier time solving the swap-puzzles after I read Alan's comment "I need to visit both locations before being able to change anything".

The swap mechanic is a bit weird, however if you remove it the game is just a maze with dead-ends.

It's definitely worth extending, somehow. Have you tested any other mechanics to give the player something they can swap/move/change?

Hand-E-Food

Jan 6, 2017, 4:01:35 AM1/6/17
to PuzzleScript
That's fun just as it is!

James ah ha

Jan 15, 2017, 11:52:03 AM1/15/17
to PuzzleScript
Hi All

Thanks for the feed back - I'll look again at the description for (and mechanism of) swapping.

What did you think of the 'back ground music' concept (ie having different tunes for each level) ? It would be nice to have better sounding notes - anybody got any ?
[feel free to copy the music code (all elements should start with m_) if you can make use of it]

For extensions; I was musing on
           trains going through tunnels (complicating the 'maze' aspect)
           airplanes flying between airports ( ditto )
           road interchanges (ie road to road transfers at intersections)
           lakes (multiple ship routes)
           train junctions
           one way routes
           shark hazards in rivers, rabbits on roads ... and/or other cars/boats/trains
           zoomscreen to limit the view of the 'maze'

James

Connorses

Feb 25, 2017, 10:54:55 AM2/25/17
to PuzzleScript
I say if you can work it into a good puzzle, add it to the game!

James ah ha

Feb 25, 2017, 5:39:15 PM2/25/17
to PuzzleScript
Which idea were you thinking of (not all of them I hope :)