[Game] Rose (second attempt)

Jared Piers

Dec 7, 2016, 12:37:46 PM12/7/16
to PuzzleScript
Hello,

I posted this last night and this morning I found an error that was big enough to make me want to delete the first thread I made here and make a second one.  Apparently, deleting the first post of a thread doesn't delete the entire thread so I apologize for the weirdness with the two different threads. If anyone know who to delete/ close a thread here, that would be great, haha.  Anyways, here is my original post with an updated link.

This is my first game on puzzlescript or any other medium.  Any feedback is welcome.  Play as much as you'd like.

If you plan on playing till the end, you will likely need a paper and pen.  Graph would be most helpful but lined will do as well.

Rose.gif

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 7, 2016, 1:10:40 PM12/7/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 7, 2016, 1:27:57 PM12/7/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript
(also, this is a mailing list as much as it is a forum - it's better to post updates on the same thread rather than delete+post a new one, because people will still reply to the old one)

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 7, 2016, 1:30:55 PM12/7/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript
got really confused on the "it doesn't always need to be perfect" level - the new placement I find very unintuitive. I'll give it another shot tomorrow - I'm really enjoying what I've played so far -  good work!

edderiofer

Dec 7, 2016, 3:22:45 PM12/7/16
to PuzzleScript
Just completed the game, despite the lag (which may well be my own fault). Very well-made. Spoilers in rot13:

V vavgvnyyl gubhtug gur tnzr jbhyq or bire hcba svavfuvat gur gbjre naq vachggvat gur cnffjbeq (juvpu V fubhyq abgr vf ivfvoyr jvgubhg qbvat nal chmmyrf ng nyy).

Gura V fghzoyrq vagb gur onfrzrag. Lbh ner bar pensgl crefba vaqrrq, rfcrpvnyyl jvgu onfrzrag yriry rvtug. V'z n yvggyr naablrq gung gur "rkgen zrpunavpf" sebz gur hccre cnegf bs gur gbjre qvqa'g znxr vg vagb gur ybjre cnegf bs gur gbjre.

Vg jnfa'g rknpgyl pyrne ubj gb chg gur gjb uvqqra yriryf gbtrgure gb trg gur svany nafjre, ohg nsgre n ovg bs gubhtug, V ernyvmrq gung ersyrpgvat bar naq nqqvat gurz hc qvq vaqrrq lvryq n inyvq tevq. Obgu ebfrf ner snveyl avpr cvkry neg, naq gur jnl lbh'ir vzcyrzragrq vg vf irel arng (va grezf bs flzoby-ba-gur-znc hfntr).

Juvyr V qvqa'g hfr nal cncre naq cra, V qvq unir gb gnxr n srj fperrafubgf urer naq gurer.

V fubhyq abgr gung gur qvnybthr qbrf tvir bss n fyvtugyl ubeebe ivor, gubhtu...

Also, I just learned that startloop and endloop are commands you can use in PuzzleScript. I'll have to think about using them at some point.

--Edd.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 7, 2016, 4:08:49 PM12/7/16
to edderiofer, PuzzleScript
To double check - are the board inputs meant to get jumbled-up? ( like on the "it doesn't always need to be perfect" level I mentioned) - where you can't draw continguous lines any more, just line-fragments?

Inline image 1

Jared Piers

Dec 7, 2016, 7:13:23 PM12/7/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
Yes, they are.  However, the goal of that particular puzzle is to convince the player not to complete it.  That may not have been communicated clear enough though, as a couple people have singled that one out.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 7, 2016, 8:04:04 PM12/7/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, edderiofer
I've completed all but two of the puzzles that I've found (that have weird/broken behaviours), and wander about the rooftop garden. Not sure if there's anything else to the game.  I'm happy with what I played.

Ok I lied I've KNOW there's more I just don't know how/why to get it/how I would figure out that I should.

(also, I should say - this is very impressive for a first game!)

Jared Piers

Dec 7, 2016, 8:15:06 PM12/7/16
to PuzzleScript, jpier...@gmail.com, edder...@gmail.com
A hint for those who get stuck, also using rot13

Ybbx pybfryl ng gur sybbe bs gur ebbs naq gur ebfr ubhfr.

And thanks for playing it all the way through Edd!  My biggest fear in releasing this was that nobody would make it through so your comments meant a lot.  Also, I wasn't going for horror at all but I can see why someone would get that idea

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 7, 2016, 9:55:03 PM12/7/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, edderiofer
Ah ok - I saw the pattern, but I never noticed the second building (maybe if it was to the left of the tower? or maybe it doesn't matter. :) )

Ok, I got totthe basement. Still trying to figure it out, but having fun - I like trying to figure things out :)

edderiofer

Dec 7, 2016, 10:05:43 PM12/7/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
Funny that, I actually did complete that puzzle. As well as the fourth balcony puzzle. That definitely wasn't quite communicated clearly enough. But then again, you can pbzcyrgr gur tnzr ol pbzcyrgvat bayl guerr chmmyrf, so that may well be a flaw on the part of the design of the game.

Jared Piers

Dec 7, 2016, 11:08:12 PM12/7/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
Nope, that is entirely intentional.  I felt it didnt go with the theme I was going for and I dont like forcing people to do things if they dont want to

Lukas Schüller

Dec 8, 2016, 4:53:03 AM12/8/16
to PuzzleScript
Wow, this is just super impressive! I've unfortunately somehow lost my progress before solving the two final puzzles and I don't feel like redoing everything else right now, but I had lots of fun! The puzzles are very cleverly and tightly constructed. The aesthetics are beautiful and the whole atmosphere feels very fitting. For the most part, giving hints to the more obscure puzzles was pretty well done.

Apart from the two deliberately annoying puzzles, one minor flaw I'd like to point out:

In Basement Floor 6 (I think), I feel like there's no hint whether to use rotational or double mirror symmetry, since the room has a higher symmetry than the puzzle. I used the first one first and was kind of disappointed that my solution wasn't valid. Of course, I might have just missed some super clever pointer for that.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 8, 2016, 4:44:47 PM12/8/16
to Lukas Schüller, PuzzleScript
>I've unfortunately somehow lost my progress before solving the two final puzzles

There's definitely some bug involving checkpoints occasionally breaking and saves being lost. I've encountered it a couple of times. If anyone can find a solid repro, I'll fix it asap.

(finally made some progress in the basements!)

Message has been deleted

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 8, 2016, 5:08:47 PM12/8/16
to David Cherepov, PuzzleScript
>Am i misunderstanding the rules?

yip. the reason it isn't valid:
rot13 : gur fbyhgvba unf gb or pbaarpgrq

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:59 PM, David Cherepov <alia...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like it but there were many times when I made everything green but it didn't recognize it as a solution. Am i misunderstanding the rules?

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 12:14:06 PM12/9/16
to David Cherepov, PuzzleScript
have you changed the game at the url? it seems i need to press action and then a direction to enter a level now.

Also, in the 'eye' basement level (with the secret entrance)
- I couldn't go back one i had entered once
- when i tried to wipe it the 'x' didn't seem to work? (or worked weirdly - it's hard to tell because it's all invisible anyway)

Jared Piers

Dec 9, 2016, 12:42:39 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, alia...@gmail.com
I havent changed the game url at all no.  Weird that its acting that way now...  I am also not able to replicate the issue with not being able to enter the eye levels after leaving once.  Also, it is a mistake on my part that there is a clear button for that puzzle.  Its not that the lines are invisible, but that there are no lines being drawn.  The solution is entered elsewhere.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 1:17:55 PM12/9/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, David Cherepov
ah ok, I assumed one of the other puzzles you had to enter the solution but it was invisible (but I hadn't gotten around to solving it)

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 1:24:06 PM12/9/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, David Cherepov
OH I think I know what the problem might be with both saves disappearing and the input problems I talked about.  Because the map is so huge I think I'm running into some issues with browser storage limits. I'm on it - I'll try get it fixed asap.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 4:14:36 PM12/9/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, David Cherepov
OK the checkpoint stuff should be fixed for now (unless someone makes a game much bigger than this one :P ). Might need a reload.  Thanks for stretching the engine and exposing the problems :)

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 5:54:41 PM12/9/16
to edderiofer, PuzzleScript
Edd, regarding the lag - could you refresh and let me know if the current version is also laggy?  If it is still bad, could you let me know your browser/operating system/rough system stats?

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 6:26:13 PM12/9/16
to edderiofer, PuzzleScript
I want to post this to the puzzlescript gallery - is this the final version? (I notice it lacks an author field/homepage link in the prelude ("author Jared Piers", for instance)  - in the gallery I normally link to games urls directly, so if there isn't some author-identifying information on that page then nobody will know what wonderful person has made the game).

That Scar

Dec 9, 2016, 6:59:49 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript
This (SPOILERS) makes perfect sense, why is this not the solution?

Also: Greetings, this is my first post on the puzzlescript google group :)

Jared Piers

Dec 9, 2016, 7:07:39 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
Hey, thanks so much!  Here is the link to the final version with a couple fixes (or attempted fixes) to problems people have brought up

I think the title page looks nicer without the author field filled out so Ive added a message after the end that says who made it.
Message has been deleted

That Scar

Dec 9, 2016, 7:13:26 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
You should totally look up those updatable urls, it's awesome!
I've also completed that puzzle after a number of different ideas, I couldn't have expressed it any better but I would've used more different structures, you have a lot of different textures.

Jamie Perconti

Dec 9, 2016, 7:14:40 PM12/9/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, edderiofer
Wow perfect timing with the final version! I am literally getting myself set up right now to stream this over at https://www.twitch.tv/infinitenutshell

Jamie

,

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

That Scar

Dec 9, 2016, 7:54:43 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript
I think Jamie encountered a bug right here: https://clips.twitch.tv/infinitenutshell/OpenOctopusTriHard

Jared Piers

Dec 9, 2016, 8:17:08 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, jpier...@gmail.com, edder...@gmail.com
Uggghh.  Well, I'm an idiot.  When I made the final version, I accidentally modified the version of the game that I had originally posted and so the first couple bugs that I fixed are back in the game, one of which is pretty important.  And I didnt make it the modifiable version again because I didnt want the temptation on myself to go back and change things.  Very sorry Stephen, but here is the actual final version of the game.  If it isnt possible to take the one you posted down and repost the one that works, I will live with that.  Sorry again, haha

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=0f174b98074b628e8de5514c5839efae

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 5:53:47 PM UTC-7, Jared Piers wrote:
Was just watching your stream and somehow an old bug made its way back in.  The solution you had that wouldnt work should have. Here is the actual final version

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 8:26:18 PM12/9/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, edderiofer
Is it modifiable? If not, have you played it through to check it's all good?

It's not a big deal for me to change the link, but if people are linking around broken versions of the game, that's not good for you or the players or the game :P (no biggie though :) )

edderiofer

Dec 9, 2016, 8:33:05 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
It's laggy, but not quite as much. I'm far more willing to bet it's all the other tabs I have open. However, I should note that after I complete ANY Puzzlescript game, it brings me to the start menu as before, but with a "continue" option that just takes me to any lines of dialogue after the last level.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 8:48:40 PM12/9/16
to edderiofer, PuzzleScript
>However, I should note that after I complete ANY Puzzlescript game, it brings me to the start menu as before, but with a "continue" option that just takes me to any lines of dialogue after the last level.

is that new behaviour, or did I just introduce it? (too tired to try reproducing right now - it should be easy enough to fix, but blaaa lazy atm)

>It's laggy, but not quite as much
Any lag means that it'd be helpful to know your stats/os/browser :)

Jared Piers

Dec 9, 2016, 8:50:43 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, jpier...@gmail.com, edder...@gmail.com
Just played through the new one I linked and its all good.  Thanks for the help, haha.  Hopefully if I make another game with puzzlescript I will have learned a lesson...

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 9, 2016, 9:02:17 PM12/9/16
to Jared Piers, PuzzleScript, edderiofer
Ok, I've updated the gallery link :)

>Hopefully if I make another game with puzzlescript I will have learned a lesson...
the lesson is to use updateable urls!

I do hope you make more games (in puzzlescript or otherwise).

edderiofer

Dec 9, 2016, 9:32:12 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
I think it's something you just introduced. It didn't happen previously when I first completed Rose.

Jamie Perconti

Dec 9, 2016, 10:02:59 PM12/9/16
to edderiofer, PuzzleScript
I just finished playing through the whole game on my stream. You can watch at https://www.twitch.tv/infinitenutshell/v/106427650

Jared - this is a really impressive piece of work! Congratulations on completing it. I loved the second set of puzzles particularly. You did a great job with the difficulty curve and giving hints for that section.

[Minor spoilers] The only thing that frustrates me is that I never figured out what the grid in Basement 8 does.

Jamie

,

Jared Piers

Dec 9, 2016, 11:04:36 PM12/9/16
to PuzzleScript, edder...@gmail.com
Hey Jamie, I actually watched a bit of your stream while it was happening and it helped me realize that the 'final' version I put out had a couple bugs in it, so thank you!  Pretty surreal for me to have someone stream something I made...

As for basement 8, the solution is below in rot13:

Gur cvyynef ba gung sybbe ner qvntbanyyl flzzrgevpny, fb vs lbh tb gb gur fcbg qvntbanyyl npebff sebz gur chmmyr cnary naq cerff k, lbh pna ragre n uvqqra chmmyr naq ragre gur fbyhgvba gurer

Hugo

Jul 30, 2017, 11:53:47 AM7/30/17
to PuzzleScript
Hey, this is an amazing game! I doubt the author will read this, but I'm having a hard time following its concept. At first I thought I just needed all the tiles to become green, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Then I thought they all had to be green and all be connected, but it seems absolutely impossible in the level I got stuck at. So I'm starting to think the win condition is by having one particular setup, but it's hard to find when a lot of connections are so easily interchangeable. Am I missing something crucial about how the game works, or do I really just have to find the exact configuration? Thanks!
PaintDotNet_2017-07-30_12-49-43.png

Jared Piers

Jul 30, 2017, 4:16:51 PM7/30/17
to PuzzleScript
Not sure whats gone wrong there, but the solution on the right in your picture is correct.  Just tested it in the game and it counted as correct still so there must be some kind of bug going on in your game.

Hugo

Jul 30, 2017, 4:25:30 PM7/30/17
to PuzzleScript
Thanks for the response! Well, this is a bit awkward now, because I just finished writing a post where I extensively tested every possible solution to see what was happening. Here's the post:

Sorry for the rushed past post. I've delved deeper into it and am even more confused than before. I've tried solving this puzzle by setting up every tile that I could and whose configurations are not flexible - that is, the tiles that can only be connected to specific other tiles for any sort of solution to come up:

With this basic setup, I tried to simplify it to the least amount of variables in order to get all the possible different solutions to the same puzzle. The simplest method I found was to consider only the tiles that require a single connection: there are two of them, and they only have two possible connections in the configuration above. That way, we can consider 4 possible solutions: AA, BB, AB and BA. To make it simpler to understand, I'll use the words "horizontal" and "vertical", since conveniently they are the two possible moves for each tile:

Case 1: both connections are horizontal:

Case 2: both connections are vertical:

Case 3: top tile connects horizontally, bottom tile connects vertically:

Case 4: top tile connects vertically, bottom tile connects horizontally:

Virelsa

Aug 7, 2017, 5:05:20 AM8/7/17
to PuzzleScript
Brilliant concept, excellently and elegantly executed. Still working my way through...