[GAME] Sweet Hints

Marcos D

Jan 16, 2018, 6:24:34 PM1/16/18
to PuzzleScript
Hello guys!

To practice more with the language, I set myself the task of reproducing some of the mechanics of one of my favorite puzzle games, which you will surely identify :)

In the process, the project became a mixture of re-interpretation and cheesy tribute of the original. Here is a first draft:

I think some of the missing mechanics are, if not impossible, very difficult to implement in PuzzleScript; but maybe some of you can give me some pointers to possible ways to codify them.

Regards,
Marcos

Alan Hazelden

Jan 16, 2018, 7:29:18 PM1/16/18
to Marcos D, PuzzleScript
Works well enough!

I don't know that these levels will do a good job of teaching these mechanics to anyone who's not played The Witness already, but maybe you're fine with that.

One minor input thing - I maybe would like it if when I press a direction, it moved the line until the next junction? Right now it's slightly awkward to press twice to move one place in those square mazes. Definitely not necessary though.

Marcos

Jan 16, 2018, 8:05:42 PM1/16/18
to Alan Hazelden, PuzzleScript
> I don't know that these levels will do a good job of teaching these
> mechanics to anyone who's not played The Witness already, but maybe you're
> fine with that.

Oh, they definitely don't work as introductory levels, of course. But
I don't intend to release it as a complete game (at least not without
the consent of Jon Blow). It's more a tribute or joke for those who
played the original.

Hand-E-Food

Jan 17, 2018, 7:36:27 AM1/17/18
to PuzzleScript
That was short and sweet.

The mechanics were very difficult to work out, but I did like the trial-and-error format.  It probably needs just a couple more levels before the last one to mix the mechanics more gradually.  And then you can bring in some really tough stuff! :-)

Stephen Lavelle

Jan 17, 2018, 10:49:32 AM1/17/18
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
If you bring up a particular mechanic, I'd be up for discussing how one might implement it.

(I can imagine someone making an in-world version, like https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puzzlescript/R0E-mNlUHZg - that'd be a lot of work, though!)

Marcos

Jan 17, 2018, 10:58:20 AM1/17/18
to Stephen Lavelle, Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
The "hexagonal board" ones are out of the question (barring heavy
changes to the engine); the ones that perhaps are implementable are
the polyomino rules and the "relaxer" rules. The relaxer is, I
estimate, the easiest; but there are some subtleties regarding the
order of execution of some conditions...

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Stephen Lavelle <anal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you bring up a particular mechanic, I'd be up for discussing how one
> might implement it.
>
> (I can imagine someone making an in-world version, like
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puzzlescript/R0E-mNlUHZg - that'd be
> a lot of work, though!)

>> That was short and sweet.
>>
>> The mechanics were very difficult to work out, but I did like the
>> trial-and-error format. It probably needs just a couple more levels before
>> the last one to mix the mechanics more gradually. And then you can bring in
>> some really tough stuff! :-)
>>
>> --

Ove Ahlman

Jan 19, 2018, 3:32:51 PM1/19/18
to PuzzleScript
Lovely... Really brought me back to the witness again.though without having played it the mechanics would have been tricky to figure out.

iczuba...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 5:55:01 AM1/20/18
to PuzzleScript
I haven't played that "The Witness" game others mention. I tried to play the game, but with no explanation it was just trial and error and after a few levels it became more frustrating than engaging, so I left it. Just my opinion.