[GAME] Not Normal Crates

Alex35.8crk

Aug 22, 2016, 1:21:39 PM8/22/16
to PuzzleScript
-- Not Normal Crates --

"Welcome to PuzzleScience , we are doing some tests with crates , and you are here to test these crates with hard puzzles... I presume they are hard..."

(I'll publish the game on itch.io later)

Alex35.8crk

Aug 22, 2016, 1:35:39 PM8/22/16
to PuzzleScript

Chris Pickel

Aug 22, 2016, 1:44:38 PM8/22/16
to Alex35.8crk, PuzzleScript
I enjoyed it, especially the interludes! I didn't find the puzzles very hard, but I play lots of puzzle games. I did think that many of the crates felt the same. The counter crates and reverse crates were very nice.

Maybe, instead of having vertical/horizontal/rail/one-way, you could have different rail types? In the first level, you could have a blue rail (horizontal) and a green rail (vertical). You don't have to explain rails until later.

Alex35.8crk

Aug 22, 2016, 2:16:36 PM8/22/16
to PuzzleScript, humaxe...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot! :p
Bad puzzles are a point of the story :p (and also because i'm bad at making puzzles :c)

Dan $ations

Aug 22, 2016, 2:59:50 PM8/22/16
to PuzzleScript
Hello!  I agree with chris, the reverse and counter crates were interesting :)

I did notice two things:

1. Rail Crates that were on different rails can be transferred, they dont seem to have a boundary between them

2. Once a button has been pressed, the door will remain open even if the crate has been removed

I wasn't sure if these are things you had done intentionally since they felt a little counter intuitive.
I did have fun with it though !-)

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 22, 2016, 5:18:28 PM8/22/16
to Dan $ations, PuzzleScript
Thanks for this - I enjoyed it!

1: I like how the red crates behaved with controls reversing
2: I liked the sleeping bits, and the green at the end
3: I didn't find it very difficult, which I liked
4: The hardest one maybe was the one after "Good luck on resolving this one."  - but it was still fun to figure out.

anyway, good work Alex :)

Hand-E-Food

Aug 22, 2016, 11:53:16 PM8/22/16
to PuzzleScript
Very nice!  I didn't find it difficult, but it was definitely creative.

My favourite was the puzzle that involved unlocking half of the exit to solve the second half of the puzzle.  The reverse crates made me feel drunk when I stopped pushing them.  I still wanted to press the opposite keys.

Alex35.8crk

Aug 23, 2016, 5:01:55 AM8/23/16
to PuzzleScript
Thanks everybody! The easy puzzles are a story point :p
*"mechanics for nnc2.txt"* mmmmmmmmmmm let's work

Connorses

Aug 25, 2016, 11:12:07 PM8/25/16
to PuzzleScript
I liked the counting-crate levels a lot! They present an interesting set choices, and you have to choose carefully where you push them. There is potential for level designers to do good things with this game.

I think this game gets easier because you actually put the easier crate mechanics later in the game! Rail crates and one-way crates both limit the choices you have for how to move the crates. Usually, I find that rules which allow more choices are better for making hard puzzles. This is because the player has more room to make mistakes. With the One-Way Crate puzzle, there is very little room for mistakes.

Hoboken Pudding

Sep 2, 2016, 12:51:47 PM9/2/16
to PuzzleScript

"I think this game gets easier because you actually put the easier crate mechanics later in the game! Rail crates and one-way crates both limit the choices you have for how to move the crates. Usually, I find that rules which allow more choices are better for making hard puzzles. This is because the player has more room to make mistakes. With the One-Way Crate puzzle, there is very little room for mistakes."

Interesting observation. I felt the same way, that the movement restrictions made the later levels easier. It's a fun game of different mechanics.

Ben Erlebach

Sep 22, 2016, 3:11:22 PM9/22/16
to PuzzleScript
Just played through this! I agree with everyone else - it wasn't particularly difficult, but I enjoyed it a fair bit. (In fact, Puzzlescript games are typically fairly fiendish, so it was refreshing to play something a little different!)

I think the strength of this game is that it doesn't spend too long on any one mechanic, but also the mechanics are simple enough to understand so the player isn't overwhelmed by all the new crates.