Landscape in 3D?

James ah ha

Mar 7, 2016, 4:59:24 PM3/7/16
to PuzzleScript
Hi All

A little 'proof of concept' game.  I have a map which the player makes their way through - but what they see is a (simply) 3D rendered version of the map's landscape.  You can alter the map easily and as the code is built to be extendible then other landscape features building etc could be added [and specifics coded].  There are still issues with some of the rendering (but it's not bad), and what happens to the view at edges but it is playable.  The code is OK - there may be some economies I could make.

If you want to see how the mechanisms work then play the following http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=7c09a8b01427983c3a46 plus see in code comments (I might have to explain a few bits that I have not made clear)

What do you think ???

Inspiration from 'Lords of Midnight'

Hand-E-Food

Mar 7, 2016, 10:43:22 PM3/7/16
to PuzzleScript
Playing the normal version, I could not work out what was going on.  However, with the little map to show how it works, I can see what you're trying to accomplish.

Rendering definitely needs work, particularly where mountains overlap and hills are seen in the distance.

A higher key_repeat_interval would be appreciated, say 0.5.  (See Prelude.)

Maybe the edge of the map should be drawn as a chasm?

I was also confused by being able to walk through mountains.  They look large enough to be walls.

What you have there is an amazing effort!  I hope to see this polished.

James ah ha

Mar 18, 2016, 7:09:08 PM3/18/16
to PuzzleScript
An update - most issues from first version now sorted.  Now you turn 45 degrees at a time (with compass points) which helps with orientation.
what do you think ?

If you want to see how it operates then play

Any thoughts on the adventure elements would be welcome.

James
(Inspiration from 'Lords of Midnight')

Connorses

Mar 19, 2016, 10:49:39 PM3/19/16
to PuzzleScript
Woah.

Are you a wizard?

Hand-E-Food

Mar 20, 2016, 6:38:35 AM3/20/16
to PuzzleScript
Sooooo much better!  Awesome work!  :-D

Stephen Lavelle

Mar 20, 2016, 8:21:02 AM3/20/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
so, this is pretty grotesque, but also impressive. Still very occasional graphical glitches

Inline image 1

but overall, especially with the 40º rotation, it's pretty nice to navigate around now.

abrobecker

Mar 27, 2016, 12:43:27 AM3/27/16
to PuzzleScript
I'm frequently impressed by PuzzleScripters' works, and here's another amazing piece! 3D in PS, wow!

James ah ha

Mar 27, 2016, 6:30:23 PM3/27/16
to PuzzleScript
Hi  Glad you like it (mostly), as I said it's a proof of concept, any ideas on making a 'game' using the concept ?
  It is easy to add landscape features, and to make the maps.

James