help me test out autocomplete please

Stephen Lavelle

Jun 14, 2018, 3:41:28 PM6/14/18
to PuzzleScript
https://www.puzzlescript.net/autocompletetest/editor.html

I've been working on it today.  It's a biggish change so I don't want to mess things up.  Lemme know if you find any bugs : )

Stephen Lavelle

Jun 14, 2018, 3:42:23 PM6/14/18
to PuzzleScript
(I should say - Shu Ding / @quietshu did the initial work on this and I'm just trying to make it a bit smarter now - thanks, Shu!)

Hand-E-Food

Jun 17, 2018, 11:39:38 PM6/17/18
to PuzzleScript
I just did some sanity testing, not a real workout, but it's looking very good.  Well done!  I love that the auto complete is full context sensitive too, right down to whether or not you're inside brackets.

That Scar

Jul 10, 2018, 9:53:31 AM7/10/18
to PuzzleScript
Late response but still a response:
Didn't find a single bug or weird thing but it simply didn't change much for the programming of my game (didn't harm either, so that's great!).

The problems arise when you are doing things like this:

Even if I can write half the word and then select the ending, it would soon become ineffective because I want each combination of CC/CW, left/right/up/down, lever1/lever2/pivot1/pivot2/balast1/balast2 (that's 48 objects in total).
Essentially, I end up writing the whole thing.
It's notable that, very often in programming languages you use a dot as a separator for subparts and subfuctions and other scope limiting factors and the autocomplete only works until the next dot.
Minecraft has in-game commands that would also experience this problem but they've made the autocomplete work until the next branch instead (where "branch" means that 2 words have this same maximal prefix) while also listing the suffixes that are still available, it saves a lot of typing as it should.

My example is a bit extreme and you usually wouldn't need things like this but simply splitting Object into Object1 and Object2 makes the autocomplete much harder to use.
I don't know if this is something to care about or not as I find it completely fine without autocomplete in the first place and, since it doesn't seem to do any harm, it's the same deal as before in such exotic cases.

Stephen Lavelle

Jul 10, 2018, 1:48:01 PM7/10/18
to That Scar, PuzzleScript
you're right though - there are other forms of autocomplete that let you complete to the branching point (so if you type S you can complete to "Silver...") - that might be useful to implement...I tend to use underscores a lot to separate words - I could give them meaning within the autocomplete editor also.  Hmm.

Marcos

Jul 10, 2018, 1:50:08 PM7/10/18
to Stephen Lavelle, neskal...@gmail.com, PuzzleScript
I discovered the other day that "startloop" and "endloop" aren't completed.

Stephen Lavelle

Jul 10, 2018, 4:07:38 PM7/10/18
to Marcos, That Scar, PuzzleScript

That Scar

Jul 10, 2018, 5:18:38 PM7/10/18
to PuzzleScript
Yeah, that's a valid proposition, capital letters and numbers would also be pretty good separators.

That Scar

Jul 15, 2018, 9:52:17 AM7/15/18
to PuzzleScript
One more small thing: if you press home or end, it skips to the first or the last suggestion respectively. I personally don't find that useful and if nobody else does either, I'd like my home/end buttons free as I tend to use them a whole lot and there were two occurrences of the autocomplete intercepting that today.

Stephen Lavelle

Jul 15, 2018, 10:00:56 AM7/15/18
to That Scar, PuzzleScript