[GAMES] Crumbling Tower, Don't Die and The Blob

Guillem Garcia Tarrach

Mar 31, 2018, 5:27:09 AM3/31/18
to PuzzleScript

Hello!

This week I've made my first three puzzlescript games, although one is not finished yet. You can play them here:

Crumbling Tower

Don't Die (shorter, but harder!)

The Blob (WIP)

I would love to know what you think!

Thank you,
Guillem

Marcos D

Mar 31, 2018, 5:42:46 PM3/31/18
to PuzzleScript
I like The Blob!
Did you consider a version where the blob remains always connected?

Guillem Garcia Tarrach

Apr 1, 2018, 6:33:04 AM4/1/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks!
Similar to your game? I hadn't thought about it, but I tried it.
It turned out to be harder to implement than I thought, as it must still allow for some flexibility.
In case someone is interested, here is what I did: https://www.puzzlescript.net/editor.html?hack=594deacf23ec3151cde77194d82dfd69
In some cases it still doesn't work and you have to press a key multiple times for it to actually move.
There might be a better way, but everything else I tried didn't work well enough.
I'm going to mess with it and see what it can do.

Marcos D

Apr 1, 2018, 10:02:36 AM4/1/18
to PuzzleScript
Interesting! I'll think about a possible deterministic implementation.

Ove Ahlman

Apr 2, 2018, 8:27:42 AM4/2/18
to PuzzleScript
Regarding crumbling tower.

The mechanic is a fun twist on sokoban and each level evolves where you learn new things without it getting to feel repetitive. I also like that many levels have extra space, not necessary for solutions which at least makes me feel free, even if they do not help me. My biggest problem is really level 1. It is both very hard, compared to the other 4-5 starting levels it is by far the hardest. It also introduces the mechanic of "step twice" stones, which is then not used again untill level 13. I sugest moving or removing this level.
I also really like the effort of making the last level which looked really nice.

Don't die

I found it a bit trial-and-error or at least "this seems to be a good strategy" and then apply this strategy on levels until it doesn't work. Rather than "figure it out". I think I got this feeling because so much is happening at once that it is hard to grip what will happen when you make 6 moves in a row. This might not be a bad thing for the game, but rather exactly what you were going for, but I got a bit discouraged by it.

no time to play the blob yet.

Cheers
Ove

Guillem Garcia Tarrach

Apr 2, 2018, 10:54:08 AM4/2/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks a lot for the extensive feedback! I put the free space in there so that the player can't get the solution just by looking at the shape (which it did if I removed it). Regarding level 1, I put it there to give the player a taste of what the whole game is like, since the first levels are pretty easy (and I felt it was necessary to include them, as they contrast with some later levels in interesting ways). However, I hadn't realized the step twice stones appeared again that much later, so I may change things. Luckily, that mechanic is simple enough that you can relearn easily it if you forgot (and you notice the tile is different).

As for Don't Die, I agree with you. I couldn't find any levels that were neither very easy nor trial-and-error, but I still thought the idea was good, so I finished it and posted it anyway.