[Game] Sorx-Aubi

Ali

Jul 12, 2015, 10:32:59 AM7/12/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Hi, this is the first puzzle game I have made. I had made other games before but I'm not sure if you could call them games, failed prototypes mainly. But PuzzleScript was so easy that I could start and create a game in like a weekend. I kept working on that (or better said, didn't leave it) for two weeks now and this is a half-finished, playable result. I hope it be a good combination of challenging and interesting. Definitely waiting for some feedback!

I don't know how to make it so that player can choose the type of levels they want, so here are two links, one is probably harder than the other (although the second one explores a specific version of the first one)

I also made an introductory level but I may have to write out the rules in case it is too confusing (I actually did that right now :p, I'm still not sure) :/

Here are the links:

Also,  some of the levels may be hard in a not really fun way, which can be a little bit easier by changing a little details.

Ivan Koswara

Jul 13, 2015, 1:49:04 AM7/13/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Interesting idea. I personally would split the introduction into several levels, since the rule "red blocks freeze crates" is confusing given that I have never seen crates nor red blocks before. Something like I do in my game. (Only after I played the first level that the rule made sense to me.)

Chris Pickel

Jul 13, 2015, 9:57:11 AM7/13/15
to Ivan Koswara, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
I played the first version a bit and it’s interesting. After a couple of levels, I did have to go back to the first level and try to understand the rules better. Got through about ten levels before taking a break.

Ali Nikkhah

Jul 13, 2015, 12:00:48 PM7/13/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Wow, really thank you for playing and commenting, I really didn't expect someone to go all the way to level 10 (Not that the game is hard, but it could be boring). Those other levels get more interesting after the first one of them (the only non-interesting level of the second link in my opinion, maybe it was a bad decision to put it first)

Yeah, those first rules that I wrote came pretty sudden. I probably should make more than one tutorial level, one for each rule, especially since the rules are not so familiar like things like gravity change or like that. This one is not perfect in my view but is at least not confusing either (I thought I could edit my first post though :/ ):

Chris Pickel

Jul 14, 2015, 8:34:28 AM7/14/15
to Ali Nikkhah, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
I finished #10 (Battering Ram) and really enjoyed that one. I tried the second link, but didn’t really get into it—I don’t find moving two players at once that interesting, and it seemed to dilute the main mechanic instead of enhance it.

I think the main point that wasn’t clear to me from the first level was that solid red blocks are never movable. Hollow blue and red blocks are two kinds of the same thing, but solid blue and solid red blocks have little in common. Here’s a list of things you need to understand, I think:
- You can push multiple blocks at once.
- Hollow blocks are movable if blue. They move independently.
- Solid blue blocks are movable. They merge together.
- Red blocks are never movable.
- Hollow blocks take the color of an adjacent solid block.
- Hollow blocks become blue if next to both solid colors.

Here’s a level that demonstrates all of these tightly, I think:
########
##..b.##
#.xx...#
#xoibi.#
#rr..p.#
##....##
########

You can’t edit a post to the mailing list, but you can publish your game in a way that you can update it later:

Ali Nikkhah

Jul 14, 2015, 7:11:01 PM7/14/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, nikk...@gmail.com
Thanks again, Chris, for taking the time for playing and commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed the levels. I went to look at the second set of puzzles once more and realized half of them had really easy and uninteresting solutions which I hadn't noticed in the first place, and it probably would be the same if I put a collectible instead of another player or maybe nothing at all, might see how that works out. Anyways these are the four puzzles which stood out again: http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=2289f9c612904405e249 (I think out of those, the last two may be the only ones which truly use the two-player mechanic, the rest I can put straight into the first category with a little bit of change, which I just did).

I didn't notice there would be so much more that player has to know, but you are probably right. Thank you for the level, it's really good and I might consider bring that—or something similar—as an intro level. This topic has already given me many hints of what do I have to think about next.

This is the new version with only one level of intro. Four of the second link's levels are added, out of which two are translated into one-player puzzles. I also made it so that the corners of blue boxes fill as they stick to each other, although I don't know how to apply the rules at the beginning of a level before first move so it looks weird on one or two levels. http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=05a389fea3d87c5d9d21

Also, thanks for the hint, I should have known that earlier, now it doesn't really make a difference I guess. I may use it next time I made a game, for now I'll just put single links.

Chris Pickel

Jul 15, 2015, 10:27:14 AM7/15/15
to Ali Nikkhah, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
The option you’re looking for is called run_rules_on_level_start

I like the new look for the blue blocks; it really helps make the merging rule clear.

Ali Nikkhah

Jul 15, 2015, 11:06:10 AM7/15/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, nikk...@gmail.com
Thanks for that option. I think so too; that way, they won't go with the other stuff visually, but it's still important to be clear to the player.

If anyone wants to play for now here is the latest link, I probably won't update it for a while to work on it more, or just refine this and get to another project since PuzzleScript is really easy. It would be great if you also comment on the game.

David Kempe

Jul 19, 2015, 11:41:50 AM7/19/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Just played the most recent version (July 15th) for all the levels you have unlocked and I think it's pretty great! My favorites were level 6 (the easy solution) 12 (Battering Ram) and 14 (Dear Fibonacci). I would say you might want to take another look at level 7 (There and Back Again) and level 10 (Big and Confusing) as I might've won by some unintended solutions as I was able to get through interacting with only a few of the level assets (7 can even be beaten in 7 keystrokes). You use extra objects intentionally in some levels to instill this false sense of symmetry like level 2 (Frozen) which is great, but in these two levels where symmetry isn't used I was mostly left wondering if there was a more complex solution I had missed.

Ali Nikkhah

Jul 19, 2015, 6:51:39 PM7/19/15
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for playing, David! I am really glad you found the game to be good. Wow, it's funny, I didn't see that in level 7 the whole time, thanks for noticing or else it would have been like a joke. And about level 10, still funny because if you mean you won the level with the help of those three blue blocks in the corner, they were actually there as an obstacle for the other two blocks in the middle. Thanks for telling me. I'll definitely take those levels into consideration, because the core idea, especially for level 7, was good enough, I suppose. Actually, not that few of the game's puzzles are have straight forward solutions. It's just that I'm really lazy when it comes to refining something that's already done, "done" sounds better but I really have to revisit many of the levels.

I was also kind of ashamed, because I did actually play your game, Overrwyrld, a few days ago, but I got stuck somewhere and left it. And that's why I didn't comment anything then, but as soon as I saw this I went back and finished the game. That game was pretty great too :)

Ali Nikkhah

Sep 27, 2015, 9:33:46 AM9/27/15
to PuzzleScript
It's now finally finished, or at least, I'm done with it. It's nothing more exciting than the original version. The last level still remains the best thing I like about it. I had some ideas of how to expand it into a more interesting game but I guess it's not worth the time, or I could make that an entirely other game. Thank every one who played. And I'd be happy to hear feedback if you've play the new version. :D

I also tried to come up with a new game but I thing it wasn't that interesting. Anyways, here's the link to that too:

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=f861adba664079b085db

anna anthropy

Sep 27, 2015, 2:11:52 PM9/27/15
to PuzzleScript

"leave no baby unmotivated" is one of the best instructions a game has ever given me but that first puzzle is way too intimidating

Ali Nikkhah

Sep 27, 2015, 6:05:02 PM9/27/15
to PuzzleScript
Ha ha, thanks! At first, a baby could push another 'into' an eye to kill it, so the goal would be to "leave as much baby motivated as possible", but then babies would kill each other until there is a single motivated baby, and it wasn't possible, or at least I couldn't figure out (if there is some way please tell) to set scores and leader boards. I'm not sure if by first puzzle you mean the first game or the first level of that baby game, but glad it could be interesting.

Connorses

Oct 3, 2015, 1:33:58 PM10/3/15
to PuzzleScript
Sorx Aubi was really good and I like the way it presents you with immoveable objects and then shows you how to move them.

And I thought Angize was plenty interesting. I still haven't beaten either game, but I really like them! I'm getting tired of these unmotivated children (oh god I sound like a school teacher) HAHA.

Ali Nikkhah

Oct 6, 2015, 3:39:59 PM10/6/15
to PuzzleScript
Thanks a lot! I'm glad you liked them. I think I would make some new ideas and see how they turn out. But I find I really don't have too much time (and like almost everyone who says such, I waste some of it too).