[Game] OutOfBoundsException

Shu Ding

Jun 19, 2018, 4:33:11 AM6/19/18
to PuzzleScript

We've posted it on Twitter a month before and got a lot of feedback. Thanks everyone. This is the updated version with more levels, non-spoiler titles and also adjusted the tutorial section / level order a little bit.

Also we're very pleased to say that this game has been selected by the Puzzle Game Grant by Thekla (http://the-witness.net/news/2018/03/3450/). Thank you Thekla, all the organizers and everyone helped us! We will keep developing and improving the game.

Marcos D

Jun 19, 2018, 2:14:07 PM6/19/18
to PuzzleScript
Congratulations!

Hand-E-Food

Jun 21, 2018, 11:14:14 PM6/21/18
to PuzzleScript
This game is brilliant!  I have a few levels left to solve, but I'm thoroughly loving it.

The 8x8 tiles make a big difference graphically.  I can see people going with massive 128x128 sprites which I agree is against the spirit of PuzzleScript, but a bit of flexibility is good.

Shu Ding

Jun 22, 2018, 4:17:44 AM6/22/18
to PuzzleScript
Thanks! Since we have to leave the border space for all the tiles, 5x5 is not enough to present the idea very well.

That Scar

Jun 25, 2018, 11:57:24 AM6/25/18
to PuzzleScript
You're damn right! I've played through all of that not even noticing that it's 8x8 and that it isn't typical for puzzlescript so it brought in only good into the demo. I do think anything larger than 5x5 should be mostly inaccessible, overcoming the urge to improve graphics all the time while prototyping makes for a lot of progress.

Ali Nikkhah

Jun 29, 2018, 5:19:06 AM6/29/18
to PuzzleScript
Very good game, especially considering how simple the basic mechanic is! Was the crate near the flag in Challenge 3 a red herring or did I find an alternative solution? (I'm not used to/don't really like objects in puzzle games not serving any purpose inside the level they're in, but I still enjoyed that level.)

Shu Ding

Jun 29, 2018, 8:30:53 AM6/29/18
to PuzzleScript
Some objects in that level were designed to be misleading. And you're right, I just played it again and agree that the crate might be unnecessary for the level.
Considering improving it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hugo

Jul 1, 2018, 10:31:51 PM7/1/18
to PuzzleScript
Man, that was such a simple, yet elegant puzzle game. It was never boring, there was always a new logic to it. Fantastic job!

Virelsa

Jul 5, 2018, 7:07:34 PM7/5/18
to PuzzleScript
Wow, this is fantastic. A simple idea executed brilliantly with puzzles that build on interesting concepts and don't repeat themselves.

Challenge 3 is quite the conundrum, isn't it? I've finally solved it but I feel I need a lie down now. I didn't notice any unnecessary crates in my solution, but there is a door whose function I'm unsure of (in the lower right).

On a purely cosmetic note, I feel like the pushable tiles could be a bit more distinct from the static ones. Maybe it's just my eyes, but the grey/black border differentiation could be a little clearer.

Anyway, awesome work and many congratulations on the grant. This deserves a lot of success.

RADIOSOAP

Jul 7, 2018, 8:43:11 AM7/7/18
to PuzzleScript
the game is cool!