[GAME] Stand Off

Hand-E-Food

Oct 24, 2016, 6:36:24 AM10/24/16
to PuzzleScript
Stand Off

Don't let them varmints point a gun at ya unless yer pointin' one at them too.
Press X 'n' an arrow to draw or holster one o' yer two guns.

Here's a new Wild West puzzle.  Try and escape the town without anyone firing a bullet.  These varmints are dead-shots.  Their self preservation and the occasional body-sized crate are your only advantages.  There's 10 levels of increasing difficulty.

As always, all feedback is welcome!

Enjoy!

Hand-E-Food

Oct 24, 2016, 6:41:54 AM10/24/16
to PuzzleScript

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 24, 2016, 7:15:36 AM10/24/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
Oooh interesting! Nice idea! Just getting started (played quickly the first two/three levels), but I like it so far...

huh, I don't know if this might not be one of the rare games where, based on what I've played so far, I would suggest disabling undo...(because trial/error are too tempting here) - like, you want your final solution to be some nicely understood and choreographed danced from start to exit?

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 24, 2016, 1:22:55 PM10/24/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
(I take back my suggestion about removing undo!)

Hand-E-Food

Oct 24, 2016, 4:55:00 PM10/24/16
to PuzzleScript
Hehe... I thought you might. :-)

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 24, 2016, 6:21:37 PM10/24/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
Found a bug!

x down x up in this level causes the player to duplicate

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Hand-E-Food <hand_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hehe... I thought you might. :-)

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 24, 2016, 6:27:32 PM10/24/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
Still not very far in (level 5 was cool), stuck on level 6 now.  Impressive game!

Have you tried playing with the graphics much?

Hand-E-Food

Oct 24, 2016, 9:16:48 PM10/24/16
to PuzzleScript, hand_...@hotmail.com
Nice find!  Fixed!

Hand-E-Food

Oct 24, 2016, 9:24:15 PM10/24/16
to PuzzleScript, hand_...@hotmail.com
I'm glad you're loving it!  I thought this was one of my lesser ideas.

I've tried playing with graphics a little bit but I don't have the patience or time.  I'm aware that I grow tired of one idea and move on to the next one.  I aim to get the most important bits done first so I have something I can publish.  If I still have enough passion to keep developing at the end, then I can improve it.

I played with the walls, trying to do some kind of brickwork, but I find making a repeating pattern with the 5x5 sprite very difficult.  I could use four or nine different sprites to make a 10x10 or 15x15 pattern, but then I'd have several different wall codes for the level design.  Your PuzzleScript ethos resonates with me, it's about the gameplay and the puzzles over the graphics and sound.

The only other thing I didn't like with my sprites in this game was that the player and crates look too similar.

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 24, 2016, 9:43:08 PM10/24/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
have you changed how holstering works? right now when you press x it stays in holster mode after you put away a gun (you stay highlighted until you've taken out a pistol)? i don't remember it tripping up my rhythm so much, and it might be just me. (is it just me?)

Hand-E-Food

Oct 24, 2016, 10:28:43 PM10/24/16
to PuzzleScript, hand_...@hotmail.com
It's always been that when you holster a gun, it stays in "gun mode" so you can immediately draw it in a different direction.  I wasn't sure whether to keep it this way or not.  It makes sense that the only reason you'd holster a gun is to reorient it, but you're right that it plays with the rhythm a bit.

CHz

Oct 24, 2016, 11:42:14 PM10/24/16
to PuzzleScript
That was fun, nice mix of challenges.

I definitely never got into a rhythm of instinctively knowing when I was in gun mode and when I wasn't, so I was pretty constantly switching guns when I didn't mean to or accidentally moving and getting shot. Especially in the last level. So many bullets.

iczuba...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 6:37:10 AM10/25/16
to PuzzleScript
Not finished it yet. I spent way too much time on the second level :S

The 7th level was much easier than expected, I've just solved it using just one crate.

Thanks for the game!

Hand-E-Food

Oct 25, 2016, 8:57:13 AM10/25/16
to PuzzleScript, iczuba...@gmail.com
Level 7 was designed to encourage a solution that would never work.  I didn't realise it was possible with one crate until you mentioned it!

Hand-E-Food

Oct 25, 2016, 8:58:18 AM10/25/16
to PuzzleScript
Okay, maybe I should just make it always return to move mode after drawing or holstering a gun.

iczuba...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 11:58:11 AM10/25/16
to PuzzleScript
Yes, please!

Lukas Schüller

Oct 25, 2016, 1:01:55 PM10/25/16
to PuzzleScript
Wow, that last level was pretty tough. Neat game, I liked it a lot!

Okay, maybe I should just make it always return to move mode after drawing or holstering a gun.

Hm, not sure about this. If I think about how often I had to switch between horizontal and vertical cover in the final level, I think might even prefer if it wouldn't automatically return to move mode at all, but maybe that's just me.

recher_ps...@yahoo.fr

Nov 7, 2016, 3:44:46 PM11/7/16
to PuzzleScript
Really cool game. Nice idea and nice level design.

I like the "non-violent" trick of a dangerous western town, where not a single shot must be fired.