Finished game: Hector

son.of...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2013, 12:53:04 PM11/28/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
I just completed my first game in PuzzleScript. The process was really great, and only took me four days of working in my spare time. The puzzles are primarily avoiding enemies, pushing blocks, and navigating mazes, but I also made a kind of "teleport" that jumps you ahead a number of spaces. Check it out. I welcome feedback.

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=7695464

Alan Hazelden

Nov 28, 2013, 7:16:05 PM11/28/13
to son.of...@gmail.com, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Random enemy movement isn't generally a fun mechanic in PuzzleScript games, and I'm sorry to say that remains true here in my opinion.

I was playing this by moving around, and if I got close to an enemy I would undo and try again until the enemy didn't get as close. You can counter this by disabling undo, but that would just make the game more frustrating not more interesting.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful to say!

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM, <son.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just completed my first game in PuzzleScript. The process was really great, and only took me four days of working in my spare time. The puzzles are primarily avoiding enemies, pushing blocks, and navigating mazes, but I also made a kind of "teleport" that jumps you ahead a number of spaces. Check it out. I welcome feedback.

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=7695464

onr...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2014, 11:27:18 AM2/22/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, son.of...@gmail.com
I got through to the end and the story is pretty cool. I really like the ending lines.

But not very much of a puzzle. Just a maze...

Theta_G

Feb 22, 2014, 12:34:58 PM2/22/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, son.of...@gmail.com, onr...@gmail.com
I like the "trapping enemies" mechanic - kind of reminds me of Rodent's Revenge.  I agree that the enemy's movement shouldn't be random, though.

Nice game, though!

son.of...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2014, 7:39:52 PM2/22/14
On Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:53:04 PM UTC-5, son.of...@gmail.com wrote:
> I just completed my first game in PuzzleScript. The process was really great, and only took me four days of working in my spare time. The puzzles are primarily avoiding enemies, pushing blocks, and navigating mazes, but I also made a kind of "teleport" that jumps you ahead a number of spaces. Check it out. I welcome feedback.
>
> http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=7695464

Thank you all for playing, I just realized that I was responding to posts via Gmail, and my replies were not being posted here on the forum. So for the benefit of anyone else who may be reading, a few points. This is the first game I've ever completed, and was not too planned out. Enemy movement is random until the player is in line with the enemy, then the enemy follows the player. This can be used as a way of luring the enemy, but it's possible that you may never have to. Also, as I was experimenting with what I was learning about PuzzleScript, the game kind of "got away" from me, becoming more of a story and less about puzzles.

Theta_G brought up Rodent's Revenge. Very astute, as this is what initially inspired the "trapping" mechanic. I wish I had followed through with that. Rodent's Revenge could probably be replicated in PuzzleScript.

I do appreciate all of you playing and your feedback, thank you.

aldyher...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2015, 9:01:05 AM9/14/15
to PuzzleScript, son.of...@gmail.com
i just have 1 question , how do you do the level scrolling? you know like every rpg game have?

Stephen Lavelle

Sep 14, 2015, 3:46:27 PM9/14/15
to aldyher...@gmail.com, PuzzleScript, son.of...@gmail.com
aldy